Dumaguete Info Search

Banks

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by ecelle, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ecelle

ecelle DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello everyone! what are the banks in Dumaguete CIty that are trusted , especially for foreigners?

ecelle

2. OP
    OP
    ecelle

ecelle DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Also.. I need info if what school are good in DUmaguete for grade school ( US standard )

3. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    The banks not in Dumaguete are Citibank, Chase, nor BOA. Why would you not trust PNB, BPI or Land Bank?

4. OP
    OP
    ecelle

ecelle DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Pedro. Is not that i dont trust PBI or any local banks, but it would be more convenient if there is a Chase Bank there or any american/international bank.

5. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    You don't trust the banks for your money. You don't trust the schools for your children. Why stop there? Don't trust the air or the water, the environment here isn't regulated to U.S. standards either. In case of earthquake, make sure you plan your day so that you are only in buildings which comply to U.S. standards building codes.

Sorry, but there are no U.S. standards here. Dumaguete is in the Philippines. We work off Philippines standards. Once you get outside the U.S. you really don't need to bother with U.S. standards. Don't worry though, you can still call U.S. phone numbers, send mail to U.S. addressed, browse U.S. based web sites and U.S. planes are also able to land in Philippines airports. So even though we aren't on U.S. standards, we seem to do pretty well when dealing with the U.S.

My advice is, don't obsess over planning every detail before you get here. If you are already committed to moving to Dumaguete then it's unlikely the details will much matter in the grand scheme of things anyways. Just arrive here and figure out your new home from there. You will find the banks you feel good about (not sure I would call U.S. banks trustworthy!) You will find your schools. Just take it easy, you live longer that way. :wink:

6. OP
    OP
    ecelle

ecelle DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ummm.. theDUde, I did not mention ' NOT TRUSTING" the local banks there. I said " it will be more convenient." The reason why? because, of the fees transferring or withdrawing money from the atm machine... Everytime you witdraw money from Atm machine, your bank in the US charges you. So, what i am saying is, it will be more easier if there is a chase bank which is a US base bank. I am not saying that i don't trust banks there. ALo, when i said " US standard " i didnt meant to say totally US lifestyle of living.. I am asking about the academic status of the schools there. I never said," i did not trust any school there for my children, or whatsoever." However,thank you for your advise. :-) looking forward on visiting Dumaguete....

7. reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    banks and schools

Ecelle,
    Let me see if I can help. There is nothing you can do to get away from the bank fees, but everyone just accepts that is how it is and we go on. Take it from experience, I have an 11 year old American daughter....the school academic standards here surpass the academic standards in the U.S. We had to pull our daughter out of school here last year because it was way too advanced for her....we are hoping to get her back in this year, though. Good Luck to you!!

8. OP
    OP
    ecelle

ecelle DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you, Reedee. Are you in Dumaguete right now? That is a good thing if a school there is in that standard. I was a little worry about the academic standard. My children goes to a Christian Academy from the very start and i would like for them to get the same quality education that they have right now.let's face it, Public Schools in the US sucks, academically and mentally. The surroundings itself is scary due gangs here and there, especially in Atlanta area. There are only few good public schools in the US and atlanta just doesn't have it. BTW, what school did you send your daugther to? I would like for us to be friends:-) It'l be nice to meet someone with children also. I have four children ages from 9,7,5 and 4. We are flying back to Philippines next month and plan on visiting Dumaguete soon!.. thanks a lot for the information. I really appreciate it.

ecelle

9. reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    schools and banks

Yes, of course the fact that my daughter had attended public schools all her life in the U.S. probably hasn't helped the situation. I think you will find the private schools here will not hinder your children academically, since your kids attend private school there. We were living in Manila and had her enrolled at a private catholic school.....they were about 1-2 years ahead of her, academically. As far as banking, what we do (and I don't know your situation), is, my husband has his social security checks direct deposited into a dollar account here at BPI and then he just withdraws and deposits into a peso account (there is a $3 flat fee charge for the direct deposit transaction from the states). Then we are free to withdraw pesos at any BPI atm. He has his pension check direct deposited into our BOA bank there and when we want to withdraw (in pesos here) we just use the BOA debit card and pay $7.50 fee per 10,000 php ($2.50 from BOA and $5 from the bank here).

10. reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Dumaguete

Forgot to mention that we just arrived in Dumaguete permanently yesterday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.