Dumaguete Info Search

Bed bugs?!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by johncarson, Sep 28, 2013.

1. johncarson

johncarson DI Member Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +252 / 19
    A friend is having major problems with bed bugs. He's tried local sprays. No luck. Anyone know of exterminators locally or any sure fire method of getting rid of the nasty critters. Thanks.

2. denpet

denpet DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +351 / 96
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I have seen locals putting the mattress in the sun over the day.
    Freezer should also work I heard.

3. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    I would wash all sheets, pillow cases, blankets thoroughly and put mattress and pillows outs tide all day. Bug spray under and around the bed, close windows. Could be small ants taking over. If lice, lighter fluid and an ice pick might work.

4. nice_sherwood

nice_sherwood DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    i agree to pato, wash everything and lay it under the sun, that should get rid of bed bugs! they're a pain the bum! i had the same problem with my outdoor lounge so we ended up soaking it for one night, washed it the next day and dried it. :-)

5. tomcat

tomcat DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry to hear about the bed bug infestation. Just sunlight and a little heat will not solve the problem. It is much more difficult than that. If you really want to get rid of them 1. take nothing from the room, otherwise they will just hitchike on the clothes, etc. 2. Bag everything,linens, and wash anything that can be laundred in hot soapy water and dry in a dryer on high for at least 30 minutes. 3. super vacuum the room, all sides of matress, box springs, and empty all drawers. , pull up carpet edges along tacking strips and vacuum under chairs. Get behind pictures, molding, gaps in wood, etc. They prefer wood and fabric surfaces. Next purchase a product that is specially formulated for this task. such as. a liquid or spray with Chlorophenapyr , or also Pyethrin . Note, these are just some examples, other forumulations may also be appropriate You may have to treat for more than a month to solve the problem It is also advisable to bag your matress and box springs so prevent another infestation.

6. OP
    OP
    johncarson

johncarson DI Member Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +252 / 19
    Thanks, tomcat, I'm wondering if you or anyone else knows if the products you mentioned or other fomulations are available here.

7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I got ate up by bed bugs in Hawaii in a hotel while on a vacation there. Was absolutely miserable. Freaking devil bugs! They seem to be making a major comeback in the US after a couple decades of steady decline.

I would just burn everything that had any contact with the nasty creatures. They are so hard to eliminate any other way. Luckily here in the Philippines they don't have as many places to hide in the house (no dry wall, everything is concrete in the houses here).

I have heard some absolute horror stories from people in the US concerning these pests. Thousands and thousands of dollars to get rid of them. I would go to some pretty extreme measures to get rid of these demon insects (nuclear and biological weapons not excluded). Ugh, I will never forget that itchiness and pain from those bites. (I will also never forget that the hotel didn't even offer me one free night after getting screwed up by the bugs.....and then they had the nerve to ask me not to mention it to other guests.)

8. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    There are a couple of pest control company's here, the one we used before was called vira pest,we got the number from matio in town. 09265072891

9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    With these bugs it's not even worth the money of the exterminator. Just burn your sheets, foam mattress, pillows and any cloths you wear in bed.....seriously, BURN it. Bamboo frames should be disposed of. (too many places for them to hide at)

If you have bed bugs please stay out of public areas until you know they are gone. They can stick to your cloths and then transfer to another person to cause hell for them at home.

10. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    We have gotten them from Hotels too. NASTY creatures, and you are correct, VERY difficult to get rid of them once they infest a home.

Larry