Dumaguete Info Search

Beef Tenderloin from Hypermart - What a Mistake!

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by SteveB, Oct 10, 2012.

1. SteveB

SteveB DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    You would think, after being here for over 4 years, I would be smart enough not to fall into this trap, but .... yesterday, while getting groceries, I saw a small beef tenderloin in the freezer at Hyper. It wasn't yet frozen so I thought I would give it a shot; fresh beef on the grill! I ate tenderloin from old dairy cows in Canada before; it was cheap, edible and still tender as the name would imply so I thought, with my years of barbequing experience, I could whip up a half-decent steak. It had to be good at Php685 per kilo, right? What a mistake! I would have been better off cooking my flip-flops. I have never eaten meat so tough in my life. My wife told me I could have boiled it for 4 hours and it would have been tender like Bulalo, haha. The kids have been at the table for half an hour and they are still chewing. At least their jaws will be too sore to make too much noise tonight. Even our helper is threatening to take me to court for cruel and unusual punishment!

I've learned my lesson.

2. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Best stick to the pork tenderloin there Steve,can't go wrong with that!

3. OP
    OP
    SteveB

SteveB DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Yeah, their pork is fine. I thought about giving the rest of the beef to the neighbour's dog but I am scared to be charged with cruelty to animals!

4. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    I think I saw that old cow pulling a fully loaded, broken down sugarcane truck to the mechanic next to the slaughterhouse this morning..:D

5. OP
    OP
    SteveB

SteveB DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Was it grey with big, round horns pointing backwards? I think I saw it in a rice field a couple days ago also! Did it look like this?

Attached Files:

6. divephil

divephil DI Junior Member

SysAdmin
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Totally agree with you

7. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0

... my Son, you should study the bible more intense...

8. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    That’s the one I seen it in the field dead for 3 days before they finally hooked chains around its head and dragged it off to the slaughter house.

QUOTE=SteveB;1851879825]Was it grey with big, round horns pointing backwards? I think I saw it in a rice field a couple days ago also! Did it look like this?[/QUOTE]

9. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    tenderize it

I purchased a kitchen utensil that was made of about 50 little knifes that puncher the meat. It does tenderize the meat. I do not know if it would work on the piece of meat you mentioned. I had given up buying beef here because the toughness and lack of taste. This tool does help the tenderness issue. I purchased some "texas barbeque" beef at Lee Plaza is which has some taste, but not the most tender, but I forgot to use the tenderizer on it. The sauce on it was sort of sweet.

10. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    The quality of meat here shouldn't surprise anyone. There is no animal welfare and no expertise in slaughtering techniques. The animal is not stunned or otherwise anaesthetised first and is killed by hacking and slashing at its' throat. The creature dies in a blood-letting frenzy, causing it to pump huge amounts of adrenalin around its' body in a desperate attempt to survive. The meat is already sub-standard before the animal has drawn its' last breath.