Dumaguete Info Search

Been screwed over? Me too .. what to do

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by ex231, Oct 25, 2013.

1. ex231

ex231 DI Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 28
    I had a very bad experience with a furniture store here. Any thoughts from the members/mods on setting up a sticky on businesses expats may want to avoid? It wouldn't be a place for slanderous comments or petty gripes but a thread where you could let others here know that you got seriously screwed or jerked around and maybe save other members the same headaches. Of course no negative reviews of LTO or other gov't offices allowed as that is a given lol

2. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    The way things are now, it's unwise to post anything negative about anyone, lest you be sued. Fines etc. are double for anything posted to the net due to the new "cybercrime" law.

File a complaint with DTI, DTI tries very hard to keep businesses in line...

Larry

3. OP
    OP
    ex231

ex231 DI Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 28
    Thanks Larry, that pretty much answers and settles that then.

4. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    I don't know if it answers or settles anything, but I do know that DI and a past moderator were sued for comments made on DI. Since then, things have understandably gotten a bit more strict.

Larry

5. Gabrielle_K

Gabrielle_K DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +198 / 39
    On October 9, 2012, the Supreme Court of the Philippines issued a temporary restraining order (against The Cybercrime Prevention Act 2012), stopping implementation of the Act for 120 days, and extended it on 5 February 2013 "until further orders from the court"

(wikipedia)

The act even includes fines etc for cyber squatting which apparently includes domain name squatting

6. Gabrielle_K

Gabrielle_K DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +198 / 39
    Ya go see Hermino at DTI, first desk on the left

Though one expat got his roof leak guarantee settled much to his surprse after a meeting with the brgy captain and the roofer

7. OP
    OP
    ex231

ex231 DI Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 28
    Thanks for that info.
    Fortunately I finally got my problem solved but it took 3 months and countless trips to the store.

8. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Bed / Furniture Recommendations

Can anyone recommend somewhere to buy a Bed to suit a somewhat hefty Aussie weighing in at around 300 pounds? (YES I make sure I wear my anti-Japanese Whaling Speedos when I go swimming :D hehe)

I would like to buy a Bamboo Double/Queen size Bed preferably a 4-Poster style so I can have a Mosquito Net/Canopy made up (Nipa roof) My asawa to be told me they sell Bamboo Beds at the Malatapay Markets but I am sure they are made for Filipino who would blow away in a light gale, this Bed will need to survive Typhoon Oinks! :p So I would like to buy something for (hopefully; as I maybe only entitled to go for 6 weeks) my 3 Month stay at the end of this year when I go there to meet and Marry my longtime Girlfriend. She lives in Maluay so closer the better! :smile:

Cheers, Brian

9. sntmig

sntmig DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +121 / 17
    Why not go and see the people at Buglas Bamboo,on the east side of the highway ,near Mayong Tubig crossing.They could make you one to your design, and it would be much stronger than anything you can buy locally..Also 'bok-bok' free as they used treated bamboo... Miguel

10. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    I know the feeling. I used to be 330 lbs when I was at my heaviest, but am now a svelte 200 lbs dripping wet if I am lucky.

When I was 300, a bamboo bed would only last 1 year and that was only after modifying it a bit. Now we have a combination gemolina, bamboo (just the slats) and coco lumber bed. My wife had it custom made when she was in Bacolod. If I remember correctly I think it was only 1500 or 2000p at most. At 1st it was all gemolina with just the bamboo slats, but it started to sag in the middle and one side began to crack. I flipped it over and laid it flat on the floor to straighten it out. While it was straight I reinforced the sides with 2" x 2" (approximately) coco lumber and put a center leg on each side. That was over two years ago and it has held up very well since. I like the fact that it is completely quiet and does not squeak or creek like a bamboo bed does.

If you only need a bed for 3 months a stout bamboo one will do fine, but will be a bit noisy at "certain times". :p

I would go with a custom made bamboo one and have it made as you describe. Just be sure and tell them of your problem and that you want them to only use very thick walled bamboo, especially for the cross members. With the legs it is easy to see the wall thickness, but after the bed is made you won't be able to see the wall thickness of the cross members.

If you plan on coming back or staying longer than 3 months, I would get a custom made wooden one out of mahogany which should be extremely strong, but a tad expensive. There are local furniture stores that sell upscale beds, you just need to hunt them down and be prepared to pay the price.