Dumaguete Info Search

Marriage Visa Benefits of Marriage for Expat Women

Discussion in 'Passports and Visas' started by nwlivewire, Feb 27, 2016.

1. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    What are the LEGAL benefits - if any - of a foreign female marrying a male national anyway?

How would those legal benefits be different - if any - when compared to any legal benefits conferred to a male foreign national who marrys a female national?

I'm specifically asking about LEGAL benefits - or not - and any differences in those LEGAL benefits, or the ability/differences to exercise the USE of those LEGAL benefits that are given to foreign males or females when they marry a National.

**** Also, can a foreign, unmarried or widowed female legally adopt WITHOUT benefit of marriage?
    (off topic - sorry. Maybe Wyre83 can start a new thread please?)

V/R,
    nwlivewire

2. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    I think the legal benefits are slim. 13A is cheaper than tourist visa. You would gain the right to work for Filipino wages. Renew only once a year. You might still have to keep them informed every time you move? Not have to make a visa run every 3 years. I think you could apply for permanent residency so that with or without the significant other you could stay, but don't quote me on that.

The first woman I came to see in the Philippines we stayed with her family. She had a brother who was tall, 5'10" I would say handsome although I am not the best judge of such things with men and this guy was muscled up from working the rice fields, at the local Petron station and chopping wood. I told him I could probably find him an American wife who worked in real estate and earned about 15 million peso a year. She could get him to the states where he would perform his husbandly duties for a few years before he filed for divorce because she didn't respect him and he wanted half! The problem would be that she would be 40 and weigh 300 Lbs (136 kilos). He said he would pass. I still miss that family, the woman I went to see, not so much. I have met great women who had awful families also. Too bad you can't mix and match. When people say you are not just marrying the person, you are marrying the family, they are usually right.

Personally I would try for the Balikbayan. I would just say, Honey pack an overnight bag we are going to check out a nice airport in another country and come right back:devilish:. Visa waved on entry for one year, no reporting, no visa fees, no extensions. If I am really sure of a woman we could get married on Borneo by a guy in a mud hut (not with a bone through his nose but it completes the picture) Avoiding the Philippine rigamarole to get married, never register the marriage with the Philippines (because you never know) and check out another nice airport the next year.:eek: Repeat as necessary. They don't have to give you the Balikbayan, technically it is only for people who have been out of the country for more than one year but I have not heard of anyone who was denied unless they didn't have their paperwork in order.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Slim when comparing 13A to tourist visa but looks like none when compared to the SRRV.

4. robert k

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    I'm not too fond of the application fee for the regular SRRV or the stipulations for money on deposit or you have to invest in a condo, that I will not live in. I don't want to be a landlord either. The Courtesy military SRRV sounds a little better but then, neither one sounds as good as Balikbayan as long as they continue to be lax about enforcing the 1 year out of the country requirement.

Having a big wad of cash in the bank might not be a bad thing if at the moment they let you keep it in piso and didn't raise a fuss if you left it in the bank and converted it back to dollars when the value of the dollar dropped. Red neck forex.

There is also the matter of how much the account is insured for? This is above and beyond putting your trust in a Philippine bank to begin with. I don't trust banks in the US either.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  5. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I agree the regular SRRV is a bit steep but she is processing her courtesy SRRV now. Even if she wasn't, comparing a courtesy SRRV with $1,500 deposit and $10/yr vs getting married to get a Balikbayan seems like SRRV every time (not talking about love/commitment, just Legal benefit).

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. robert k

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    How much does it cost to apply for the courtesy SRRV? Is it the same $1,400?

7. OP
    OP
    nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Believe it or not, the Philippine Courtesy SRRV for Veterans is the most cost effective, long term VISA program I have found for this part of the world.

There are other Visa programs around the world, and outside of the Asian side of the world that a few folks might qualify for, that can be more reasonable. For example, if one has a provable and traceable Irish Grandparent in their lineage, one can gain long-term residency in Ireland. Unfortunately, I don't have this in my lineage as I'm just the usual Nothern European-looking, American "Mutt" who has one ancestoral line that came to America way back in the mid-1700's (English Catholics who settled in what now is Virginia). The rest of me is whatever those English ancestors married into (Germans, Swedes, etc).

V/R,
    nwlivewire

8. OP
    OP
    nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
  9. OP
    OP
    nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
  10. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Benefits of Marriage for Expat Women
    I am going to throw in my 10 cents here as this is what the thread is all about.
    A married Ex Pat Lady will be the same as an Ex Pat Married Man. Either here on a 9a Tourist, a 13a By Virtue of Marriage or another type of Visa.
    They will be shown no other Legal or Cultural exceptions ( Apart from maybe strange Looks from Locals) :wink:

JMHO before the Thread goes any more off Topic. :thumbsup: :whistling: