Dumaguete Info Search

Marriage Visa Benefits of Marriage Visa: Does it Worth Getting One?

Discussion in 'Passports and Visas' started by ajayver, Feb 26, 2016.

1. ajayver

ajayver DI Member Showcase Reviewer

WordPress developer, Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Greetings to all forum members!

I've been staying in Philippines since 2010, extending my tourist visa and leaving the country from time to time. So far I am happy with visa laws here comparing to other countries.

It's been a year since I married a Philippine girl and I am about to go to another visa run in the middle of March to get another 36 months. I need to go to Cebu to get my exit clearance and I'm thinking to take my wife with me and try to apply for a resident visa (we have all the requirements on hands) but I'm not sure if it worths getting?

As I read in other topics it costs around 8000-9000 pesos and I will need to renew it after one year and looks like I will have to pay around 3000 extra pesos every time I leave the country on top of 1620 pesos travel tax. Looks like I will have to go to Cebu Immigration for any transaction which I would prefer to avoid. Or am I wrong?

What benefits will I get converting my visa? Isn't it easier to just stay with tourist visa?

And another question - do I need to pay those 8000+ upon initial applying or later after the approval?

Any information will be appreciated!

• Like Like x 2
  2. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    If you have decided to stay here permanently in the ph I would say yes to getting the 13 a visa. Benefits are not going to the bi every two months and paying and also wasting hours of you day falling inline! You only need to go to the bi once a year when you have it to do your annual report in the first 60 days and pay p310.
    This visa can be got at bi in Cebu or Manila. Annual reports can be done in any bi office but keep the receipts as they will ask.
    Only the card needs to be renewed every five years at $50

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I've been doing the same since 2008 and similarly happy. In that time I have met and got to know 6 expat friends who got married, got the 13a visa, got divorced, lost their 13a status, and went back to the tourist status that I have been on all along. I'm happy doing it this way. YMMV

Edit: By "got divorced" I mean the marriage either ended in a legal separation, an annulment or in one case an actual divorce where she remarried another American in the US.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    I guess one of the good things is that you can Work on a 13a :pompus:

5. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    YIKES!!!! The world's shortest 4 letter word - Job :yikes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    :roflmao: Aye! I didn't like it when I had to but seems some may still have to, although not worth much here but it is a bonus to be able to if needs Must:wink:

• Agree Agree x 1