Dumaguete Info Search

best bank for foreigners?

Discussion in 'Banking - Investing - Finances' started by kelpguy, Feb 7, 2015.

1. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    i've been with BPI online for about 3 years and um... i'm not entirely happy with them and i'm wondering about group members banking preferences.

i transfer funds about once a week and half of the time, the sites not available and or the transfer page isn't functioning.

i go to an ATM and the machines are ''off-line'' (not working)
    i go into the bank to talk to customer service about their (non)service and there's take a no number system so it's ''push and shove''

a few things i'd like to see with a bank:
    functioning atms at businesses (afaik, besides the bank atms, BPI has only one atm at Lee Plaza)
    take a number customer service
    functioning online banking
    daily acct balance emails
    parking

thanks guys...
    norm : ))~

2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    For me PNB :thumbsup:

Whilst they do not have Private Parking, it is not so bad but every thing else you require is there, having said that there is now a Branch very Near The Big Robinson and there you have your Parking.

Home - Philippine National Bank

I have been some 10 years and find them Very Very Good and accommodating.:wink:

JP:bag:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    For me it is BDO (everyone has a different approach)

I bank primarily at the Branch at Robinson Mall. I have been with them for 3 years, after trying a couple other banks that certainly did not meet my expectations. Banking, like most things is about relationships, and that BDO does develop relationships with their customers. I have found that BDO is most closely to the level of service I got in the US.

I think they do most things you are looking for:

Seniors line, so you get to go right to the front of the lines (NO, service numbers required) ... I usually go to the group of tellers with chairs (have my favorite teller there) and I get to sit down and read their supplied newpaper. Once was even offered a cup of tea.

They have many branches, and I have never had a problem while traveling about with withdrawing money from another island branch, with the appropriate IDs.

They do not have daily balance as I am aware of there but I have never asked. I am pretty low tech on the banking here. I am able to transfer fund from the US and have them in my account available for withdraw in about 15 minutes.

Probably the best thing is you can talk with them, if you have questions or problems. But as all banks here they have their own Filipino idiosyncrasies.

Pat O also using them and may be able to give you more information. He has a closer relationship with the Branch Manager there.

@PatO

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    I am pleased with BDO. The original manager at the mall moved to their bank near the capitol, the current manager not nearly as outgoing with us.

5. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I set up my BPI account through their London Branch prior to moving here. I visited the San Jose Street Branch upon arrival and everything was set up for my local savings account and was working fine within 3 days. My UK bank is HSBC and it is a simple matter to transfer money into my BPI UK account. I then only have to covert from Sterling to Peso online and then the money appears in my local account. Doing it this way ensures that my capital is in the UK and protected by UK laws up until it is converted into pesos. I must admit that I have only used BPI, but have never had any problems. There are ATM's at the junction of Real Street & Silliman Avenue - Portal West in Silliman Avenue & Lea Plaza. The two branches are located in San Jose Street opposite Scooby's and in Perdices Street adjacent to McDonalds. Service here is not perfect, but do not lose your temper with the staff as they can only do their best with the resources available. If you get good service buy a tin of biscuits and thank them. I can guarantee you will not be remembered and you will notice the difference on your next visit.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    I presume sir you mean will be remembered :wink:
    I like your Style :thumbsup:

JP :bag: :cigar:

7. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Sorry, will be remenbered. Must stop being negative.

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    :facepalm: It happens to us all at times, Good to have some friends to help us get sorted :thumbsup:

JP :bag: :whistling:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. gecko

gecko DI Junior Member Showcase Reviewer

Retired
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I like AUB, Asia United Bank, across the street from the check inn on Locsin Ave. I really hate to tell people about this bank because I am afraid they will end up with too many customers. As it is now, when I go in there, I am the only one there, and therefor the first in line. They have two ATM's in town, one out side the bank, and the other next to the Red Ribbon bakery, inside Lee Plaza. I think they still have a few Safe Deposit boxes left, but i'm not sure. I have both a dollar account and a piso account. I send the money over as dollars, and when I need pisos I sell my dollars to the bank for usually about 5 centavos less than spot. They just transfer the money from my dollar account to my piso account and I never have to touch a thing except sign the paper authorizing the transfer. The managers name is Shellane, a very nice and helpful lady. Oh yes, and they have parking spots for 4 vehicles, or 5 or 6 motor cycles. The guard will come out and move the sign so you can park. Every one in the bank is very friendly and eager to help.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Andrew

Andrew DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +151 / 57
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I bank with DBO - so does my wife. I found them the best of a bad bunch. Dave is right. Just like I found with SCB in Thailand - the Bank does have some local autonomy and makes an effort to build relationships etc. BDO online is fine. I've only encountered online banking issues due to internet connections, not their system. Of course if you use ATM's always get cash out prior to a busy festival/holiday - as they tend to run dry from time to time...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1