Dumaguete Info Search

best local bike for adding a side car

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by you_have_been_removed, Feb 10, 2022.

1. you_have_been_removed

you_have_been_removed THIS IS SPARTA!!!!

Ratings:
    +261 / 53
    for the bikers here on this forum whether owners or dreamers

which local bikes ( bikes available in the Philippines) would be best in your opinion for a sidecar ( i don't mean tmx 150 or Barako 175) I'm talking about a proper setup that you would like to own (some real beautiful setups here in China, but would never see it again if tried to get it through the fine upstanding folks in manila, but would like to get it done if have to buy the bike separately then add the sidecar
    what in your opinion would be the best bike in terms of comfort and sidecar responsiveness

added pics are old PLA bikes

Attached Files:

2. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Well, there are lots of things to say about the subject.
    First off, I have never owned a bike with a sidecar, I imagine it basically achieves two things,
    a. loss of agility in traffic, and
    b. it slows you down anyway, even without the need to overtake.
    Then there's the condition of roads in the Philippines, which is anywhere between hopeless and reasonable, with a large majority in the "pretty bad" category. Potholes and the like will regularly force you to slow down seriously.
    Then there's the weather, it rains often and sometimes unexpected.
    My personal take on the subject of "bike with sidecar" in the Philippines won't surprise, I think it is a choice only for people who definitely don't want to own a car.

But, with regard to the best suited bikes to attach a sidecar, I would say it's definitely a job for a touring type motorbike, such as the Honda CB series (I have owned a Honda 750 f2 like the one in the picture below for a long time before moving to the Philippines) upload_2022-2-10_16-31-23.png

I'm not suggesting to use a bike that's as heavy as that one in the Philippines, since your average speed will be pretty close to a sobering 40 km/h anyway, a CB 400 or similar would suffice I think. If money isn't an issue you could consider the new CB500, but that sells for around 1 million peso or so. I'm thinking you could pick up a decent secondhand bike around 150-200k.
    Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki all have similar models to the Honda CB range.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  3. Dutchie

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Or, you could go all out and assemble something like this :biggrin:
    upload_2022-2-10_17-47-21.png
    [​IMG]

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Get a car with a computer/display that tracks fuel economy and you will see the average speed here is closer to 20kph (and that is for a fairly aggressive driver like myself). It is sightly faster, at around 30kph, for a 150cc scooter. If you primarily live and drive within Dumaguete I would expect those numbers to be close to 10kph and 20kph. Add a side car to a motorcycle and you basically just have a very sh*t car without aircon or protection from the rain, sun, and pollution. There is no purpose for a bike with a side car other than recreation...but maybe that is what OP is looking for.

5. Ozzyguy

Ozzyguy DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +364 / 182
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Vespa sidecars are neat and maybe a bit more suitable in the Philippines than a big bike.

H3461ea0430f0475da9808b6bd845ca9e9.jpg

electric-tricycles.jpg

But If I was to ride a sidecar in the Philippines is would be more like the below. A lot more suitable for the roads and the ice box will be good for all the wifes food.

DSCN2928-e1435269350694.jpg

6. Dutchie

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Both nice, until you start thinking about getting a Vespa or BMW serviced here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    The owner of Big Billy's in Bacong has a RUSI 250 with side car.
    The RUSI 250 has dual hydraulic disc front brakes which might be useful with the added weight of a side car.
    It is similar to what you see here with roof and windshield but more utilitarian.

I have never drive one. I imagine that they pull to the right when you accelerate and pull to the left when you stop.

The RUSI also has hydraulic rear brake. Maybe you can add a hydraulic brake to the wheel of the side car.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Having used the public Tricycles here extensively here in the past, I have come to the conclusion they are very dangerous units, the Drivers are fighting that third wheel constantly, one day when traveling down to the City from Valencia, I got to thinking what if this Driver has to stop quickly going down this steep hill the fully loaded sidecar would spin us around and I guess the whole unit would overturn and tumble down this steep hill?
    I bought a car soon after this, we do have a Motorbike but my young child has never been allowed to travel on this and the reason we used the Trikes, thinking they give a little more protection.
    One of my pet hates here is to see a Foreigner with children on his Motorbike especially if he has a car and this is even worse when they do not have Helmets on, how could a man live with himself if anything happened to this child because of his own Stupidity? I'm my view they are just Fecking idiot's.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    We have had two pedicabs over the last 8 years, mostly for short trips . 28k to have the cab made and a Honda 125 bike

10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Can't fix stupid.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1