Dumaguete Info Search

BEST METHOD TO GET PHILIPPINES DRIVER LICENSE

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by bigdaddy59, Mar 17, 2020.

1. bigdaddy59

bigdaddy59 DI New Member Veteran Army

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Im american on tourist visa, been living in Philippines for almost 4 years & still don't have a Philippines license. I did try once a year ago & LTO said i didn't meet the 12 month requirement of having 12 month remaining on my tourist visa.
    I just returned from my visa run Jan 2020.
    How can i get around this ? I under stand now the LTO web site says 6 months. Dose that mean i must be in the Philippines for 6 months? Or must i wait 6 months now,since i just got back from my visa run ? Or do i need to get 6 month tourist visa ?What do i need to tell the agent at the LTO to get around this 6 month issue .
    I have read LTO wording on 6 month issue,but im not under standing .
    Im just trying to have all my facts in order,before showing up at LTO.
    And if you know,do i need to take a written exam,as well as medical ?

THANKS FOR ANY TIPS & HACKS
    Mark

2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I had a 12 month BB Visa but they wouldn't give me a license back in 2016.

3. NowandThen

NowandThen DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +353 / 87
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    In my case I was denied 2 times. The third time I tried again I showed them my ACR-I card together with my european license and they let me apply for the Philippines one. Unfortunately quite normal in this country. A YES is not a yes and a NO Is not a no.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    If it says 6 months on the LTO website then try and get the 6 months extension next time you're at the immigration (you can go there two weeks or so before your stay expires) and once you got it, immediately go to the LTO. At that time you should have a little more than 6 months of stay left and therefore be good.

It's kind of a weird situation with conflicting rules (foreign license only accepted for first 90days (I believe?) and local license only available for stays 6 or even 12 months plus. But then again, that's what we all know and love in this country :smile:

5. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I had a 12 month BB with 9 months left, they gave me a Fil Licence but I had a British Licence that I showed them. That was also back in 2016.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Mikal

Mikal DI Member

Ratings:
    +139 / 12
    IIRC, in-country for 1-month, 6-months left on a current visa. You'll be in-country for more than a month before you can get a 6-month visa anyway, so that shouldn't be a problem. As someone mentioned above, apply for the 6-months early (I think that applying 1-week early is the 'official' rule), then go apply at LTO.

You still have a current, valid, US drivers license? Then it should just be medical and an eye test for the conversion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I also had a current UK licence and also about 9 months BB remaining.

But you have friends (wink wink) and probably are more handsome than me (see my pic!).

Anyway, the outcome was great as my asawa took a driving course and is my chauffeur.

• Funny Funny x 1