Dumaguete Info Search

Vehicles & Servicing Best scooter for the money?

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Princeton, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Princeton

Princeton DI Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 13
    Have been shopping around for a scooter...opinions on the best scooter for the money?Are the Kymco's any good?Yamaha Skydrive 125 looks nice,is about p71000...Kymco super8 125 looks good too,p64000.Saw a Honda Scoopy 110 for only p54000.These are all new prices,leary of buying used. Thoughts and reviews appreciated.

2. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    I am very happy with my Yamaha Mio 125MX automatic scooter. Fast enough for me and very well balanced. My wife has a Honda Beat, a bit smaller for zippy scooter.

3. OP
    OP
    Princeton

Princeton DI Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 13
    Actually i am renting a honda beat 110 now..its ok i guess..but the skinny little seat hurts my butt after about 20 minutes..lol.The other bikes i mentioned have a wider seat for us big expats.Thanks for input..i will look at the mio too

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I have an 06 or 08 Honda wave semi manual (centrifugal clutch?) that's used for sale. Needs new battery, plastic (rattles quite a bit), front light casing (bottom mount is broken and rattles) and front brake cable. Engine is still good amd starts easily with the kick. I bought it from a foreigner a year or two ago (he bought it new). It took a slide on the concrete before I bought it, haven't wrecked it since I've had it though.

Registration is a mess. I have the registration but not the receipt, never transfered it to my name because they told me I had to go where it was originally registered to get the receipt, which was a town north of Cebu. I have the deed of sale (or whatever they call it here) for the purchase. I've just been renewing the registration under the old owners name. I bought it for 25k if I remember correctly. Planned on driving it until it just died and then throwing it in the jungle somewhere but it's proving to be a bike that just wont stop (which the Wave will do if actually maintained). I change the oil and lube the chain, replace lights when needed. Back brake works and I only drive it around Valencia now so haven't worried about the other stuff mentioned above.

Honestly, it's a good bike that requires about 2k in maintenance/parts to make it look/ride new. If I fix the stuff mentioned above (including the registration) I'll sell it for 20-25k. I likely won't fix it......so 15k (only). My gf is learning to drive on it, so the bike might not be in the condition stated for long.....and I might not have a gf long either (she's a really bad driver who doesn't like to wear a helmet when my back is turned). You can PM if interested, or you can keep an eye out for for a blue Honda wave laying in a ditch and get it for free. (but if you see a Sexy young Filipina laying next to it please call an ambulance first before taking it)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Oh, I also have x2 Honda CB 750s (police editions). One doesn't run (I think it's a gasket, clutch and battery....but who knows) and one runs but needs a new clutch "lining" (it slips) and battery. Both registrations are good but not transfered yet into my name. One is a 89 and the other a 93 (the one that runs). I had plans to fix these up and sell but got into some other stuff that was more profitable. 10k for the one that doesn't run, 90k for the one that does......or 90k for both. If no buyer I just keep until I get around to fixing them. When finished I plan on selling both at over 100k. (silly price I know but it's more fun in the Philippines....no?)

6. PatO

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    I also had a Yamaha Nouvo but the Mio 125MX is a big improvement. Btw, I would be careful buying a bike from Du Ek Sam. My wife's Beat is nearly 2 years old and we never received the license plate, had to go elsewhere to get the stickers.

7. clear copy

clear copy DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    The new Yamaha Mio with EFI is the best so far.

8. PatO

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Princeton, most places will not let you test ride a new bike. If you are interested in the Mio clear copy is referring to, you are welcome to try mine out. You can PM me if that interests you.

9. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    In many countries I think, at least in the country I lived, its quite normal you do a test drive after which you start to consider to buy a bike yes or no. But not in the PH of course where motorbike shop owners think and believe its normal just to buy a new motorbike after you only have a quick look to the brochure.

10. flxibl2006

flxibl2006 DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Not much test driving in the US it seems now. My son there was shopping around for a dual sport and was only able to test a Kawasaki, not the Yamaha or Honda. Liability...