Dumaguete Info Search

Best snorkeling beach?

Discussion in '☋ Apo - Siquijor - Bohol ☋' started by Jeanie, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeanie

Jeanie DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello,

We are a Swedish family, two adults and two children, 6 & 10 years old, coming to Cebu the 10 th of Feb and staying for a month.

Me and my husband are both divers, but when we travel the whole family we usually most snorkel and freedive, and maybe just do a few dives. Both the kids snorkel and the oldest is quite a freediver. We when we go "on tour" we bring a small rubber boat where the kids can rest when they get tired.

We want to stay in a bungalow directly on the beach where there is good snorkeling directly from the beach. Preferrably no strong currents.

We are considering Islanders paradise / Casa de la Playa or Coco Grove (though a bit over our budget).

Where is the best snorkeling and the best accomodation`? Do we need to book ahead?

Very grateful for advice!

2. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    The best ...!!!!! Whow...you really want it all :smile:
    Welcome to the forum Jeanie.
    As you have kids I assume that you need a place where there is more to do for them then only snorkeling or free diving.
    It will depend also how important it is to have a nearby place for entertainment or shopping/dining.
    If it is only for a few days or a long )some weeks) stay.
    If short stay I should go to Apo Island (Apo Island Beach Resort) where you have a nice bungalow directly at the beach and good snorkeling and diving possibilties.
    If for a longer stay I should prefer renting an appartment in Dauin so you can go to Dumaguete easily for other needs.

3. OP
    OP
    Jeanie

Jeanie DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    snorkeling is our entertainment...

Thank you jellyfish,

Of course we want the best - aim for the stars...and so on ;-).

Snorkeling is our entertainment.:-) Even for the kids. (but they wouldn´t say no to a pool on at least place). But we are planning to see chocolate hills and the tarsiers, of course.

We are looking at Islanders paradise at siquijor. That looks like a place for us. Do you know how the snorkeling is there?

We are also considering Polaris at Cabilao.

We were looking for a nice place at Alona beach or around, but it´s a bit expensive and maybe to busy, I don´t know. And we really want to stay beachfront!

Maybe Anda would be an alternative? Is the snorkeling good there?

We are staying for 4 weeks, and don´t want to move more than 3-4 times. Maybe a longer stay in siquijor and 2 shorter stays in Apo and Cabilao?

I will read more about Dauin also.

We are happy for more input!

4. OP
    OP
    Jeanie

Jeanie DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Siquijour snorkeling - sandugan, coco grove or coral cay??

Hello out there,

We are still trying to decide our snorkeling route. We feel we want to start with Siquijor because it seems so charming and calm.

But we are hesitating. Is there good snorkeling accessible from the beach? What about tides and currents?

What beach should we choose? Sandugan or Coco Grove? And is there snorkeling at all outside Coral cay?

We are confused. Please help us out!

5. Ricardo

Ricardo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Hi

your options shouldnt be limited to Coco Grove.

Other resorts nearby with snorkelling available are Royal Cliff, John and Lheas Resort and Humbilica
    They are all priced more reasonably.

Going to Apo Island from Siquijor can be arranged through the Diving shop at Coco Grove or Kens diving ( fantastic Japanese instructor)
    However it can be a tiring journey if the sea is "lively" a 2 hour trip back can be exhausting.
    Great snorkelling on Apo and best combined with a couple of nights stay Liberty resort is a lot cheaper than Coco Grove at Apo.
    The trip to Apo from Dauin is only 40 minutes....much better.

There are many different spots to Snorkel around Siquijor some are a little way out if its low tide and require wading through the water with lots of seaweed/ sea urchins..........diving boots or reef shoes a must.

Ricardo

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Jeanie

Jeanie DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    changing destination

Hello Ricardo,

Thank you for answering. After some consideration we´ve now decided to change our travel plan. So we are going to southern Leyte instead of Siquijor. It seemed easier to combine our wish for a beachfront cottage & good snorkeling from the beach. Let us hope it comes true! The chance to snorkel with whalesharks is a real +! :-)

7. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Not that it matters anymore for the one who asked for info, so just for the records:
    Coco Grove can not be found on Apo Island. Only on Siquijor you can found a beach resort of that name.
    The owner of Coco Grove has also a resort on Apo Island where it is named Apo Island Beach Resort.

8. Ricardo

Ricardo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    My apologies Jellyfish you are correct

9. Ricardo

Ricardo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Jeannie

enjoy swimming with Whalesharks, I managed to do this off the coast of Western Australia last year and it was fantastic....until one shark decided to follow me!
    Where in Southern Leyte are you going to do this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.