Dumaguete Info Search

BI Bars Australian Professor From Entering Philippines

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Rye83, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I wonder what "government agency or foreign counterpart" relayed this information to the BoI and how they go about verifying the identities of the accused?

2. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    If you join a rally with political content you should know the consequences, even on the net I think people need to take care of what they say, not that hard find peoples identity

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I can't argue with that and in large part agree. My concern is with the agencies at these protests/rallies and how they are going about determining who is participating and who is just in the wrong place at the wrong time. If you are holding up signs and actively playing a part in or supporting the event that's one thing. But what if you are just walking through a crowd to get a coffee/drink/meal or you are curious what the crowd is all about?

Personal story:
    Once I was in Ormoc and attended a large rally (which I assumed was a fiesta at the beginning). I bought some food from street vendors - they were set up like you see at fiestas - and sat at a bench listening to the people speak (they weren't speaking English so I didn't really know what was going on, it looked like some type of ceremony where people were being given honors/recognition/congratulations for something as they commonly do during fiestas). Then a bunch of guys came out in Muslim man-dresses and started speaking with a lot of excitement and noticeable anger. Then I heard something I recognized...."Allah-Akbar" (with a good portion of the crowd repeating it and getting excited)...this is when I decided it was time for me to, very quickly, relocate. Turned out it was some rally for Muslim rights.

What if some government agents were there taking photos of participants and found my white mug sitting on a bench eating my BBQ on a stick in those images and then found me on social media? Am I an "undesirable alien" for unknowingly watching a Muslim rights rally that was in a public place that looked a whole lot like a fiesta? If they did throw me on the list there is absolutely no way I could deny being there.