Dumaguete Info Search

Big Bikes In Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Gold Surfer, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gold Surfer

Gold Surfer DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was planning of bringing my Harley once we move to Dumaguete from the US. How safe are big bikes on the roads? How much chances can it be stolen?

2. India-One

India-One DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    i think its fairly safe...

3. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    You will probably change your mind when you figure out what it will cost you. Figure 100% of value for customs alone. Also, there is regulation concerning the age of a vehicle, nothing over 5 years old.

Larry in Dumaguete

4. spectre

spectre DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    not safe in the sense that you will run out of straight roads before you achieve the maximum speed of your bike. :D

5. 2blackbelts

2blackbelts DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    big bikes

I have been looking at bringing over 3 Harleys for some time. Leaving one in Manilla to ride with the Mad Dogs.

However, I haven't really found an easy way to get them over either economically or physically, and I've checked about every option.

If I find something out, I;ll post it.

2 blackbelts

6. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    You will not have luck importing bikes, unless you know someone high up in customs, then anything is possible. You can sell your Harleys from where ever home is and buy new grey market ones here much more cheaply than importting the old ones. There is a contact here in Dumaguete.

3 Harleys, that's impressive, about 90K USD?

7. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230

Attached Files:

8. PhilT

PhilT DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    If you want a good practical bike for Dgte (not a Harley) then go for something like an Honda Africa Twin off road bike but has plenty of power for the highway, or something like it, BMW do some good models, I am not up to date with bikes these days...used to be, BTW a friend of mine did have a Harley there and he told me he had to go to Iloilo for spares! whether that is the case now I do not know, but as someone said you might not want to when you learn how much it will cost to get it there, go for Far east bikes "spares" is the key word. I think there are bikes to be bought in Cebu, but never tried it. Honda is the big company, ask a Pinoy and he will reply Honda Honda Honda!....for reasons unknown.

9. spectre

spectre DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Honda is more durable than the other jap bikes. a bit more pricey though.

10. Travel Time

Travel Time DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Forget about importing a Harley-you'll get screwed. Just buy a Harley once you're in the Philippines. I heard one foreigner had acid thrown on his parked Harley's gas tank by someone in Dgte who must have been jealous.

- I think there is a Harley club in Bayawan.

Don't assume anything while driving or riding in PI. There's no such thing as Right of Way. Ride with your headlight on! Wear a helmet.

During the two Poker Runs in Dgte 6 yrs ago or so tons of Harleys showed up! So they're around.

I saved these photos of the Poker Run from another site:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.