Dumaguete Info Search

Big fish story

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Rye83, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    [​IMG]

Holy carp! They found this in a drainage ditch in shallow water.

Read more here...

• Like Like x 3
  2. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Holy Carp is right!

Must be some really big ones in that nearby lake!

3. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    They do get pretty huge. The Asian version of these things are quite a problem in the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers (and soon the Great Lakes). I wouldn't even think about going water skiing without some body armor on these days.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Is that a cod piece.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    No. Just a piece of carp!

6. nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Are these things edible? I must say, if they are not indigenous species, then they are probably wiping out the other river species of fish.

That's why I'm wondering if they are edible - or anything that could be used to slow/control/eliminate their overpopulation.

nwlivewire

7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Wiki says,
    1. Mud carp, due to the low cost of production, is mainly consumed by the poor, locally; it is mostly sold alive for eating, but can be dried and salted. The fish is sometimes canned or processed as fish cakes, fish balls, or dumplings. They can be found for retail sale within China. I am no Fisherman but no doubt those that are, can give a better answer.
    JP:nailbiting:

8. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Local governments have been trying to push people to eat them to control their populations but people just haven't really taken to it....at least not as much as they have taken a liking to beating them to death with pointy objects. People assume since they are bottom feeders that they would taste bad (even though where I come from people eat the sh*t out of some catfish). I have never tried it myself but if it was on a menu I would give it a go.

These fish are incredibly easy to catch: you get on a small boat and smack the water with a paddle and you will likely have several decent sized fish literally land in your lap. It would be a very cheap (free) meal for many poor families....and nobody would give a sh*t if they were fished into extinction in the US.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. nwlivewire

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Thanks for sharing this!

They look delicious!

I was in New Orleans last month and tried a "drum" fish.

Coming from the Pacific NW, we have salmon, steelhead, trout, and sturgeon.

Never had a Drum fish, so I had a filet - baked.

Meat was white and flakey, very good!

I just Googled this - the Drum really aren't a particularly handsome fish, but the one I ate was very tasty - and I'd order it again.

Freshwater Drum Fish - Facts and Tips

The meat on these Asian fish look good to me. As long as they don't taste like the bottom of the river, I'd eat one!

By the time you get the "Y" bones out of the Asian fish, the filets look a bit thin - which may be better for putting them on sticks.

Maybe they could give everyone who wanted to fish for them a reduced-price license just for that species.

I remember years ago in Oregon, we had some species of invasive fish enter into the Columbia River. Oregon actually offered a bounty for fishing them down to size.

10. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Having read this I have to say that a lot of Bottom feeders are a good eating fish the UK Especially like these fish and they are all bottom Feeders so I see no reason to think the carp is any worse. and it is in the Group as follows.
    Examples of bottom feeding fish species groups are flatfish (halibut, flounder, plaice, sole), eels, cod, haddock, bass, grouper, carp, bream (snapper) and some species of catfish and shark.

Just my 2 Cents, centavos, pence Whatever.

JP :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1