Dumaguete Info Search

Billiards in Dumaguete??

Discussion in '☋ Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment ☋' started by PoolBum, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PoolBum

PoolBum DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi, I am heading to Dumaguete in July and wanted to know if I should bother bringing my pool cue with me. Are there any Pool Halls (Billiard Rooms) in the area? I am also wondering about the Malaria risk but wasn't sure where to post that question. Sorry to post that question in the entertainment forum... maybe my :confused: confusion is entertaining enough to qualify posting it here!
    Thanks

2. West Coast Hokies

West Coast Hokies DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hi PoolBum , Welcome to the forum. Though most bars and resorts have one or two pool tables, I'm not aware of any Pool Halls around Dumaguete. But there are enough pool tables around to make it worthwhile to bring a pool cue. For us we're bringing our golf clubs as there are a couple of nice courses around.

I think that the risk of malaria is small, but insects can be a nusance. We bring insect repellant for the kids.

Have fun in Dumaguete! I'll be there in July also, and we're looking forward to it!:D

3. connoisseur

connoisseur DI Member

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Hey there PoolBum. I'm a Pool guy myself....9 & 8 ball and 61 (Rotation) to be precise. I would advice you to bring your cue stick as there are many pool halls in Dumaguete. There's J's Pocket, Tavern, Rover, among others if you're into serious pool or are into betting (or not). Then there's Music Box, Honeycomb Sports Bar, Gimmick, Barefoot if your just into playing with friends or others at challenge tables. What type of Pool are you into anyways?

4. chi town

chi town DI Member Showcase Reviewer Air Force Active Duty

Ratings:
    +47 / 1
    PoolBum,

If you are wondering about things like malaria and the like, you can log on to the Center for Disease Control out of Atlanta and find travelers alerts for the Philippines by specific areas.

Chi Town

5. West Coast Hokies

West Coast Hokies DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Thanks Chi town. I just checked the CDC website and found the information to be very useful.:smile:

6. OP
    OP
    PoolBum

PoolBum DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks for all the helpful info everybody. Connoisseur, I think I will take your advice and bring my cue if i can fit it. Are the tables at the "serious" places 9 foot or smaller? As for what pool games I play... 9-Ball and One Pocket although I suppose I can hold my own in 8-Ball. Rotation is a game I am interested in but haven't played. I understand that part of the reason the Filipino pro-players are so tough is that they grew up playing it. Maybe we will meet in July and you can help me with basic Rotation stragedy and I can help you with your one-pocket. It is an excellent gambling game since it is fairly easy to handicap to make a good game even between players of very different levels of play. I think it is the best of all the games because to excel requires good thinking and skill in every aspect of pool. Will you be around in July?

7. connoisseur

connoisseur DI Member

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Hey there again PoolBum. Yeah, I'm gonna be around for sure in July....or for the rest of the year for that matter. Hehe. I live here and am from Dumaguete City. Sure, if you need someone to play pool with, just give me a holler. I'll have to take you up on that One Ball Game tutorial since I have no idea about it. I have to tell you in advance though, I'm not that good in Rotation (9 Ball is my primary game) or Pool in general for that matter since I just recently got back to playing it from 2 years of Pool Hiatus. I can still run out a few though, probably because of stock knowledge since I've been playing since I was 14 years old. About the table size, I have no idea about the exact measurements but I do know for sure they're the standard sizes.

8. southerndon

southerndon DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    When i was in Dumaguete I played pool in the music box AKA why not...

some of hte best players i've ever met were in there often...

I think if ur looking for a good place to play with good competetion you'll find it anywhere but I liked it there.

Southerndon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.