Dumaguete Info Search

Birdwatching in Dumaguete ?? Top this !!

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by sntmig, Jul 9, 2013.

1. sntmig

sntmig DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +121 / 17
    So,yesterday as I was walking from downtown to Robinsons,I see two of the largest birds I have ever seen... In a small, fenced in dirty yard were two very big Ostrich..
    I thought that they required a large open area to be able to 'run around'??.. There was no one around for me to be able to get some info,and I will go back to see what I can find out..Miguel

2. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    Yeah, I noticed them ostriches long time ago but than there have been more than two.
    This is the common philippino attitude to animal loving or rather possessing.
    It's often horrible to see the way they treat their animals.
    I had ones a neighbor here in Amlan who had 4 dogs in his garden
    Each separate in his little shelter against the wall and attached to a one and a halve meter length of chain.
    I never saw this poor dogs off the chain or their shelter cleaned more than ones a week.
    This family, with children, is very religious going to church twice a week, having prayer meetings/singingin in the garden under our bedroom window (after I told them a few things inside their house)
    But I,m sure when you free this dogs they still stay with the owner.

3. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    The ostriches have varied in number for quite a number of years. The owners are some kind of relation to my wife. They have started to keep the numbers down recently because after all these years, they figured out that ostriches eat a lot!

Larry

4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Pretty good bird watching at the mall

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    How long do ostriches live anyways? You don't have to be a genius to know something THAT big will need a lot of food.

Do the people get eggs from them? Sell the meat? Or is this just a case of having them for the sake of having them?

6. Gass

Gass DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    there are also ostrich in st Louis Village, seems not so rare here

7. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    I agree with you, but I think today must have been an off today, as there were more turkeys than chicks. :smile: