Dumaguete Info Search

Blood donation

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by robcameron321@gmail.com, Oct 4, 2014.

1. robcameron321@gmail.com

robcameron321@gmail.com DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I just wanted to throw this out there. I went to Silliman Medical Center the other day to donate some blood. This was a routine thing for me back in USA. So I thought I would see how it worked here. It was a very smooth process and very professional in and out in about an hour. As you can imagine they always need blood just like any hospital and waiting until an emergency happens is always too late. I was a little surprised that very few foreigners actually donate here and perhaps the Red Cross is a more populate choice. Silliman was very appreciative and so I thought I would throw out a good word for them and their need for donations I am also interested to know if there are other volunteer organizations in Dumaguete that I might get involved with. Thanks

• Like Like x 3
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    • Like Like x 2
  3. denpet

denpet DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +351 / 96
    Blood Type:
    O+
    A friend who donated about a year ago had to pay for it. Needles, testing etc. with the motivation that the received was not able to pay for it.

4. tlrtraveler

tlrtraveler DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +217 / 47
    So far as I am concerned, Sillliman can ask Attny Yap and the stafff at Negros Chronical for blood donation---or any other type of donations---never again will I donate ANYTHI9NG to this community!

5. AndyG

AndyG DI Member Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor

Web developer
    Ratings:
    +124 / 1
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Oh dear, well thanks for donating the comment!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    What in the world does Atty Yap and Negros Chronical have to do with donating blood? Seems a bit petty to withhold blood from people in need because of a personal grudge.

And by this community do you mean Silliman, Dumaguete or DumagueteInfo? Please clarify.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tlrtraveler

tlrtraveler DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +217 / 47
    Per your request for clarification: by community, I mean Dumaguete City. Were any of the DI members in need of 0+ blood, I would be happy to help.

It is not a personal grudge, Wrye, it is directed towards the entire community that had an opportuntity to refute the rantings of Yap or to censure the editorial staff of the Chronicle. Since there was NO local comments from business,political or religious leaders to negate the insults to the foreigner community, it is logical to think that they believe much the same as Yap; consequently, if ever asked for help--as was done after Sendong and Yolanda, my answer will be an emphatic F You!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I highly doubt that most locals even read the article. It can also be dangerous for people to speak up and tell the rich and powerful that they are wrong. Why should they stick their necks out for a minority of the population? I certainly didn't agree with Atty Yaps yapping but I didn't expect the locals to take to the streets in defense of foreigners. I think a lot of foreigners overestimate their input into the local economy. Yeah, tourists spend quite a bit seasonally, but the average expat in Dumaguete? Not so much.

I've heard there are anywhere from 5k to 10k expats living in Dumaguete....being out and around town you wouldn't think there were anymore than 2k max. Most seem to keep themselves and their wallets at home.

9. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    My Brother In-law there sells his Blood for 1000 pesos per bag/donation, and is only allowed to sell when his blood has a high red cell count and I think a maximum of 3x Donations a Month. We waited for him in Dumaguete one day when he needed money to buy Rice for his Wife and Son but his red cell count was too low so they did not buy it from him. I was thinking of doing the same but he said Foreigner were not allowed to sell, he did not know why.

10. OP
    OP
    robcameron321@gmail.com

robcameron321@gmail.com DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I do not know about selling. I did not attempt that. I was just posting for those who may wish to donate. Seem like a high payment though for here. . ?