Dumaguete Info Search

BPI Scam? Caller shows as "MAMA" (027952500)

Discussion in 'Banking - Investing - Finances' started by Brian Oinks, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    WRYE:
    You are the 'Smart Guy' on this Forum so maybe you have input that can shed light on this? (I hope I posted in the appropriate Forum also?)

Something strange has been happening over the past few months amongst Family members here including myself and I am SURE it is a scam of some sort, searching online I am inclined to think it is a scam but many posts say it is legit, so here we go;

We have been receiving Phone Calls to our Cell phones, ALWAYS it comes up as "MAMA" but several times "Mama" has been sitting beside us when we got the call... :o o:

On the other end (Very BAD Reception here in Maluay/Malatapay - "Thank you Smart, NOT!") we get a mixed message in Tagalog, something about being from the BPI Bank. Searching online I believe it to be as posted (if we could hear them!)

He said he is from BPI and I was pre-qualified to get a free BPI credit card that has waived annual fee for eternity. At first, I was hesitant to believe him but he gave me all the details (home and office address, mother's maiden name, etc) that should be known only by authorized people. I confirmed what the details he told me. And he gave me a reference number. When I called up BPI customer service, rep said reference number does not exist and that they don't have pre-qualified credit card with waived annual fee for eternity. Not sure what they will get from calling me.
    - Anonymous

Searching online for the number; (027952500) some state it is from the BPI Bank but really, who believes everything you read online... :o o:

Comments like;
    It's really from BPI. Dozens have already received their credit cards already.
    - Anonymous
    [​IMG] Philippines

To this; (Obviously been going on a long time but online info is mixed/limited)
    Lezah Mal
    16 Aug 2013
    Yes, I did received yesterday, August 15, 2013 around 1pm. I was wondering the woman who called is looking for the name that I used at my Facebook. And she said she is from BPI Bank.

• Caller: BPI Bank
    • Call type: Prank call
    And YES; they asked for the name related to our Facebook Accounts (strange as mine is different to my real name so WHY use FB names IF it is legit BPI?) BUT NOT all Family Members have FB Accounts so the plot thickens... :o o:

BUT: IF IT IS A REAL BPI ACCOUNT Salesperson calling, then WHY does it come up displaying "MAMA" as the Caller? :o o:

I really do not know but erring on the smart side I think people SHOULD BE AWARE of a 'Possible Scam' involving others using the BPI Bank as a way to possibly gain information much to the detriment of the person being called... :o o:

I WILL be asking at my local BPI Branch at the end of the month when I am next in Dumaguete so hopefully can shed an educated reply on this so until this; BEWARE! :o o:

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Hardly.

They could just be trying to verify that a list of phone numbers they have are working numbers.....they then sell them to spammers. So they could possibly stand to gain from the call.

Here is what a competent bank would suggest you do:
    There is more relevant information in the article.

Then again, BPI may be actually calling people with this advertisement, which is exactly what it would be if they are contacting you about credit cards....nobody but the bank would stand to gain if it were legit. (In the Philippines; just because the bank isn't tracking a reference number doesn't mean they didn't attempt to call you. Record keeping in the Philippines is a freaking joke.)

My advice: NEVER hand over ANY personal information over the phone or through email unless you called the bank yourself and you are 100% certain you dialed the correct published number. Even then I would be skeptical of giving any Philippine bank my personal information over the phone (even if I knew 100% that it was the correct number). I would certainly never give any such information over email/internet (I closed one bank account because they demanded I do this to reset a password). Many bank websites in the Philippines don't have https on their website or even their online banking. That is just pure retardation and you should run very fast and very far away from any bank that doesn't know the very basics of online security. If you don't see the https in the browser before you enter in a username/password then someone on the same network CAN get that information as soon as you hit enter. (And if you use the same password for different websites you are completely screwed.)

Also, I wouldn't even snail-mail any credit card applications through the mail in the Philippines. The postal service is a complete joke (they might deliver it to the wrong person) and their employees should not be trusted with your personal/account information. The only time you should give personal information to a Philippine bank is in person at the counter. Remember that corruption and fraud in the Philippines does not just happen at the highest levels.....it is present at every political, economic and social level, from the President all the way down to the shanty towns. Also, if you need a credit card you should not be living in the Philippines. Don't live above your means, it will only come back to bite you in the @ss.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    To clear the phone number thing: Using a different number in the ID is called spoofing. Someone calls you with a phone number which looks genuine but is in reality not the callers number. Ex: you get a call that pretend to be your bank. But in reality is there a bad guy attempting to get your personal data for an ID theft. It uses some special but not very expensive equipment for the spoofing. The numbers for the spoofing can be gained by getting them from a stolen cell phone, by broadcasting, by internet researches, by asking relatives and so on.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    So that is why when they call it (the caller) comes up as "MAMA"? :o o: I never knew that it was possible to fake a Caller ID in that way on a Cell Phone.

Four Family Members here do not have a BPI Account, one does not have a Facebook Account, and yet here 5 of us have been called by this number which each time shows as "MAMA" when it is ringing, and in hindsight when they called me they asked for "Brian Oinks" (which I use here and Facebook) I assumed someone was phoning me from an advertisement I had placed here on DI along with my Cell Phone number, but could not understand what they were saying so handed the phone to my Wife but the call disconnected before she could speak to them.

It is impossible to clearly hear what the caller is saying due to very bad reception here, but yesterday my Wife managed to decipher something about the BPI Bank and a Credit Card, and that they would call her back another time, which is why I decided to search online to shed some light on what is actually going on...

I suspect that those who have posted on other web sites regards this, saying that it is a legit BPI Call out Number, are a part of the scam trying to dupe others, but just to find out once and for all, I will be approaching the Manager at BPI when I am next in the City at the end of the month and will report back here...

NB: I just thought with the frequency of these calls lately I had better bring this to the attention of Forum Members to hopefully save them unnecessary grief should they also get a call and assume it is legitimate...

5. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    When "MAMA" is calling. Is the phone number behind this caller ID the correct phone number of mama?

It seems that it requires only to use a special smart phone app for spoofing. :banghead:

6. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    A bit off topic but my daughters phone rang and she recognized the number as hers. When she answered there were 2 locals talking to each other and told her to hang up and that he stole her number. (On TM).

7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+

TL:DW
    For VOIP/internet phones Caller ID is based off of what the person placing the call tells the phone company their number is. There are legitimate reasons for allowing this to happen (call center/business phone extensions).
    i.e. it is very easy to spoof a phone number.

8. OP
    OP
    Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Received a Reply from the Bpi Bank, apparently a legitimate number, but still wonder WHY the need for the call to come up as Mama on multiple phones here? :o o:

Feel free to lock this thread if you wish Wrye... :sorry:
    Greetings from BPI Express Online!

We understand your apprehension. Please be advised that (02) 7952500 is a legitimate BPI trunk line.

Thank you for choosing to bank with us online!

Sincerely,
    Red Grafia
    BPI E-mailbanking Team
    E-mail address: expressonline@bpi.com.ph

9. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It is known as click bait. They want you to read their sh*t advertisement and making it seem like the text is coming from "MAMA" is sure to get plenty of people clicking on the text message. They have probably paid the the telecom companies to make sure that ID comes up when they send out that text.

Completely unethical and incompetent IMO (incompetent because they weren't tracking the reference number they gave you), I'll be sure to avoid ever banking with BPI or using any of their ATMs.

10. OP
    OP
    Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I missed the copy and paste for that not thinking it relevant, this is the remainder of the email; I assume the SR# is what you are referring to?

Note: This e-mail is logged under Service Request Number (SR#) 1-9968731949
    Please reply with history or cite above SR# when making a follow-up on this
    concern.

==============================

Lost or stolen BPI ATM and Credit Cards should be reported immediately to
    our 24-hour Phonebanking service:
    • 89-100 for Metro Manila
    • Access code + 63 + 2 + 89-10000 for mobile phone users or
    international calls.
    Applicable fees or charges imposed by the service provider are for the
    caller's account.
    Once connected, dial 5 "To Report a Lost Card"
    Travelling abroad? Get cash anywhere in the world. Call 89-100, then dial
    5-0, once connected to activate your international access.
    ===============================================================
    You can also reach our BPI bankers online via Facebook and Twitter!