Dumaguete Info Search

Breaking news concerning internet

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by boomerang, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boomerang

boomerang DI Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 1
    Asia-America Gateway comes into operation
    in August 2009.

BANGKOK -- In just a few weeks internet users throughout Asia should start to see a dramatic increase in internet speed for websites located outside of the region when the $US550 million Asia-America Gateway (AAG) comes into operation.

The new 20,000km (about 12,400 miles) AAG - an optical fibre cable network stretching from Malaysia to the West Coast of America via Guam and Hawaii - is due to commence operating in August.

The cable has additional landing points in Hong Kong and the Philippines, with branches to Singapore, Thailand, Brunei and Vietnam.

The proposed cable became a reality in June 2006, when AiTi of Brunei Darussalam, CAT Telecom (Thailand), PLDT (Philippines), REACH (Hong Kong), StarHub (Singapore), Telekom Malaysia (Malaysia) and VNPT (Vietnam) all signed a Memorandum Of Understanding (MOU) for its construction.

In addition to being one of the longest undersea cable rollouts in history, the AAG will actually shorten the route for data from Asia to America, avoiding some of the wolds’ areas most prone to seismic activity in the process.

The demand for better quality communications services throughout Asia has been an ongoing battle between foreign and local businesses and regional communications carriers, and one that has affected economic growth in some countries.

The AAG will will use the latest Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM) technologies with a minimum design capacity of 1.28 terabit/s and a design capacity of 1.92 terabit/s.

The last of the undersea cable work was completed in June and all 10 landing points were completed months ago.

The new cable will improve e-commerce traffic and help meet the increasing demand for faster and more reliable internet, video and other multimedia services and applications.

2. franh

franh DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    WOW!! WOW!! and double WOW!! What an accomplishment....and we don't have to worry about solar radiation etc.

3. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    This is indeed good news! Thanks for the posting. It is good to see that the necessary investments in infrastructure are being made here.

4. Don

Don DI Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 1
    OMG! Maybe soon - well...in a couple more years - I can finally dump my PLDT "WeRoam" aircard and get speeds over 220??

5. atlargex

atlargex DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Not so optimistic that this will help speed up internet connection for users in and around Dumaguete area....since the source of connection/speed problems lies with the local internet providers. :rolleyes:

6. richard08

richard08 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nahh! PLDT (Philippines) one who signed the Memorandum,,, I hope globe did too,,,sad to say no PLDT in Dumaguete but only the lousy dialup speed Cruztelco.

7. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Connect speed depends on the ISP you choose. Not all providers serve all areas of Dumaguete. Many users here whine but do nothing to improve their own situation.

I've already fired one - Globe. They were unresponsive and basically had a "don't give a sh*t" attitude. Fine! They are now doing so without any financial support from me. For the last few months, we have been with Sky. Good connect speed and NO discontinuous service. I'm a satisfied customer and don't mind saying so.

If you have any usage which requires a high bandwidth trans-Pacific connection (think baseball USians), the announced infrastructure improvement will be a big help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.