Dumaguete Info Search

Building material

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by Union Jack, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Union Jack

Union Jack DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    I've seen roof tiles promising to be bullet proof (one can only immagine why), yet in most cases i still see ceilings made with plywood, something that makes no sense in a country where termites rule. In the UK we use plasterboards, while in the rest of Europe they are made of concrete and bricks. I believe there is a relatively new material, on the market for a few years now,which also acts as flame retardant, rivetted to the aluminium frame.
    Did anyone hear about it and if so what's its name and where can it be bought?
    Cheers.

2. muddyfeet

muddyfeet DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    In the US there is a fireproof sheetrock that has been used for many years. It is usually referred to as "firerock" in the US. All sheetrock, or plaster board is fire retardant but not necessarily "fireproof" because of the paper on the outside.

3. sntmig

sntmig DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +121 / 17
    Maybe you are wanting "hardiflex", which is like firerock.I have prchased here in Dumaguete and was available in 1/4" and 1/2" . I do not know about the asbestos content ??

4. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

Hardiflex is readily available and competitive in price to plywood. It's use is now common in newer Philippine homes. It is easy to work with, and no bugs will eat it being a fiber cement board.

Larry

5. sillimanian

sillimanian DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    You mean Metalplas roofing, which does away with the need for insulators as it deflects heat. Boasts of a lifetime warranty. My friends the Carres of Camp Lookout in Valencia have this roofing. Call Anabelle Adriano for a price list and free roof estimate: 0917-700-2766.

6. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    Hardiflex don't contain asbestos and is available in thickness 3 and 4 mm for ceilings.
    1/2 " exist but is not fitted for ceilings because to heavy.
    It is better to use the 4 mm because the 3 mm will bend after some time.
    Hardiflex is a brandname and there are some other brands with the same qualification.

7. bikerdave

bikerdave DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    Ive used hadiflex for an outdoor partition in my diveshop. It takes the brunt of sun and rain. I've painted it with an epoxy paint and it is about 5 years old. Still looks fine. I will use hardiflex over plywood/marineply again for walls or ceilings anytime

8. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Yes, it is good stuff. They stopped using asbestos many years ago. Very popular, particularly in bush towns down here where getting rid of heat at the end of a blast-furnace day is an issue...It will crack if thumped hard enough though...

9. OP
    OP
    Union Jack

Union Jack DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    Many thanks to all for the response!
    Could I ask you if the material in question has to be "skimmed" with plaster to cover the rivets holding it up or perhaps the rivets have to be imbedded into the material then filled up or you simply paint over the lot, rivets included?

10. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Never seen it plastered...in my mind it is too 'flexible' to be a good long-term base for plaster. Can't really countersink either because it is too thin.....All you can do is paint over it - and ignore the fixings...I've seen it used a lot in the bush for housing - but back here in the cities it's just for fences at most. Good product though and would be great for general housing in the Philippines....