Dumaguete Info Search

Vehicles & Servicing Buying a Used Motorcycle

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Always a Poppy, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    Can anyone explain the process for buying a used motorcycle privately here please?

I understand the tips about making sure the bike is legit and has original papers etc (although any specifics on these would be helpful).

The bits I'm unclear on are:

Once purchased with a Bill of Sale, is it necessary to get this notarised? If so, where?

Is it then necessary to purchase new insurance and re-register at LTO in new name?

What age of bike would require safety(?) or smoke test before re-registering?

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Make sure papers are under the sellers name. If the registration hasn't been transferred into the sellers name (they have a deed of sale for the vehicle but the OR/CR is still in the previous owners name) just walk away from it...especially during this pandemic when owners may be on different islands/provinces and are not available to show in person to have a deed of sale notarized. (Notarization is a requirement and lawyers are becoming much more strict on the showing in person part of that.) Also avoid blank "open deeds of sale". These should never be trusted as it ripe for abuse and scams.

Make sure the OR/CR do not have a lien/encumbrance on it. If it does that opens a whole new can of worms that involves banks, 3rd parties and government offices.

Original OR/CR. Information regarding the sale (price, addresses of both parties, etc) Both parties show in person to sign with a valid government ID. (Foreign passports and driver's licenses will work.) Photocopies of IDs and 3 sample signatures on those copies. Any respectable attorney/notary will make sure everything is in line.

Once you purchase you will need to transfer the OR/CR into your name at the LTO. Do this ASAP, if the previous owner loses a court case and doesn't pay the settlement all their assets can be frozen and you will not be able to transfer until they pay up and the freeze is lifted, you may even be ordered to turn the vehicle over...even if you purchased the vehicle years before the case was lost and the assets were frozen (this happened to me). If the registration is still valid you shouldn't need to pay for the LTO provided insurance again (not sure on this one). I have yet to find an insurance company that will provide full/comprehensive coverage on motorcycles but if the bike does happen to have that you should contact that insurance company to speak about the transfer of coverage.

Whenever the OR/CR needs to be renewed you will need to do a smoke test. It is a prerequisite for registration. The age of the bike does not play a part in this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  3. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    And as of now im still waiting on the registration of my bike,its been one month now due to the lto only doing 200 a day.

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Can you use it in the meantime? In early 2017 my wife cancelled a new car purchase because she was informed by the main dealer she should not drive it without registration and that such reg would take 6 months!

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    This is why, now more than ever, it is important to make sure all documents are in perfect order. Getting clean documents transferred is headache enough given the current pandemic, any deviance from perfection will only turn the normal headache into a debilitating and soul crushing migraine.

As for new vehicles; for some reason cars seem to be treated differently than motorcycles. When I bought a new motorcycle, around March 2020, no temporary plates were given (only a "for registration" plate...which fell off around 2 months ago) and I was given a short letter saying when it was purchased and that registration was pending, nothing saying I was allowed to drive it. No idea if this would do any good at a checkpoint...I just assume it doesn't really matter since I'm driving around with absolutely no plate on the rear and nobody has said anything or even asked for the documents at a checkpoint. Whereas the new car, purchased around a month ago, has orange LTO inspection stickers on the front and back windows, plates with numbers on it and a much more official sounding letter saying I'm authorized to drive until permanent plates and the registration are issued. Does this actually give me the right to drive it? No idea...but it gives me a warm fuzzy.

If I was ever asked about plates or registration at a checkpoint I would just say, "sorry sir, out of stock". It always worked and got a laugh from the person asking for the sticker requirements before, I assume it may work now. If one of my vehicles ever got impounded I would likely hire a lawyer and file a case against the LTO/police and plead my case to a judge and hope for the best. I just consider this nonsense as par for the course in the Philippines and go with the flow, complaining will do nothing.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  6. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Excellent advice to us all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. NowandThen

NowandThen DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +353 / 87
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    I bought my bike over 2 years ago and now I don't even bother anymore to ask the LTO when my number plates will be available. I went to a shop and bought a plastic number plate (looks even good). The bike is registered, smoke test done. End of the story.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. OP
    OP
    Always a Poppy

Ratings:
    +828 / 142

Thanks Rye. Very helpful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Yup did that for my son who bought a new bike. Simply showed the docs I had to the guy who makes plates and bingo, Plates, nice ones, Well worth the few pesos.

• Like Like x 3
  10. OP
    OP
    Always a Poppy

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    Does anyone know how to do the LTO text background check on a motorcycle plate starting with '0701 -xxxxxx'? I've tried several formats and the service does not recognise. If I leave a space where the dash is, it thinks the number is '0701' and gives me a result on a completely different motor.