Dumaguete Info Search

Bohol Calls for Responsible Tourism in Bohol

Discussion in 'Surrounding Areas' started by Rye83, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    TAGBILARAN CITY. – Cong. Rene Lopez Relampagos of Bohol’s first district who chairs the House committee on tourism appreciates and fully supports individuals and private organizations that push for responsible tourism.

“What we need to understand is that tourism, especially eco-tourism should be both progressive and sustainable. We cannot thrive if we do not take care of what we have,” Relampagos states.

Social media sites went abuzz recently following a photo of Mt. Keltipan in Sagada flocked by many people during the Holy Week despite the pleas of the citizens of the area to not visit the community during the holiday. Environmentalist has already uttered their concern over the rise of Mt. Keltipan’s popularity after it was featured in the movie That Thing Called Tadhana, saying that “magagahasa ang Sagada.” (Sagada will be abused.)

Another photo that made rounds in social was that of Cebuano heritage interpreter Ka Bino Guerrero featuring Cebu’s Tumalog Falls with garbage unscrupulously littered around the area, which he claims is done by the locals.

“Our natural tourist spots are fragile. If we don’t care of it, then we will lose the sites we take pride off. It’s not like those manmade structures that tourists want to see,” Relapmpagos explains. “Our tourist spots cannot be simply renovated to be restored to its former grandeur. It will take so much time. So we need to be responsible tourists and be responsible locals as well.”

Continue reading...

Looks like they are asking for some common sense planning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    This a big request on the part of the leaders of the community. I like many on the forum, clean up my own parkway (the area between my property line,, and the road) in front of my house... daily. The young school children, the next generation of Filipinos, drop trash along the their path as they go home from school. I have seen motorcycles going along the road with bags, that they would throw off the motorcycles as they drive along the road. The typical flood in Manila is caused many times because the the water drainage system are clogged with plastic liter. To protect the environment so that natural aspects of the Philippines can be appreciated, many of the selfish habits of the population will have to be given up. It will take the education of many of the future generation. Either that educational message is not given, or they next generation is not listening from what I observe.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    To my mind it is not given because that generation never learned either. I notice that there is an ordinance here in Dumaguete with regard to throwing trash but like so many Ordinances and laws, they are just not enforced. :coffee:

JP :bag::wideyed:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    It really is a bit confusing why they spend weeks and maybe months deciding these new laws with many seminars.
    Then when it comes into force on a certain date nothing is done, enforcement= 0 ?
    Smoking, helmets, trikes on highway etc etc, put the money to good use,fix roads, help the poor but don't just waste it.
    I went to see the bgy captain a few months ago about a clean up the litter around our area and she showed no interest whatso ever, I told her we need to do this once every three months and it would not take long if we have a few people out on the roads for an hour or so.
    I watch the school kids walking home and all the garbage just get thrown where ever. This really needs to be enforced in the schools but as per usual the reality is its never going to happen.
    You want something done, do it yourself!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Oz-Roger

Oz-Roger DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Retired
    Ratings:
    +465 / 137
    There are things you can change and influence, and there are things you cannot, :banghead:.....a wise man, learns the difference.........lol.....:whistling:............and conserves energy and oxygen for more fruitful and rewarding activities....:wink:

• Like Like x 1