Dumaguete Info Search

Camiguin or Siargao

Discussion in '☋ Other Destinations in the Philippines and Asia ☋' started by yabs, Feb 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    anyone been to either place?
    also can you fly to these places from cebu?
    cheers

2. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    You can fly to Camiguin from Cebu...SEAIR a couple times a week. Haven't done it myself. It's on the agenda for next trip. Kids (young adults really) are nagging me they want to come and do Hibok-Hibok...

Workmate went there and loved it. Still talking about how great it was....stunningly beautiful, very friendly people, clean, good roads, etc...

3. OP
    OP
    yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    thanks
    i looked at Seair but can't see that as a scheduked route
    well I can see it on the route map but not the timetable
    any idea what days they go
    also are the beaches nice?

4. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    SEAIR

Three times a week to Camiguin....my workmate said the beaches were ok...black sand due to all the volcanic activity there...he did a couple dives with Johnny's...they were good but not spectacular. Forget which resort he stayed at but I can ask. Another comment he made....zero hassles...none, nada, zero, zip.....people were just superb. They loved it...actually took a relative's vehicle on a small ro-ro out of a town near CDO...and the driving was the best they had in the Philippines...

5. OP
    OP
    yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    cheers
    are there any beach bars there like alona do you know or is it just resorts
    beaches don't sound all tnat good to be fair then with black sand

6. Philippinediver

Philippinediver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Siargao

I have never been to Camiguin but on our very first trip to Siargao my wife and I fell in love with the place on that same trip bough a beachfront lot of 3,321sqm. Eventually, we will build on it. It is located a short distance from cloud nine surfing but facing the quiet lagoon. White sand beach in front of the property. Paid about P450 sqm. Island is so laid back and has nice people, great fish, fishing, surfing, hiking, shelling and many other great activities. In fact they have run those Eco races there. A litlle of a pain to get to (boat from Surigao City) and no consistent cell phone and only satellite for tv or internet. This will all change in time of course. Anyway, a great place to get away and have a great away from it all trip. Stay at Satur or Ocean 101. Great seafoods. Need to see it to understand it.

7. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    We’ve have never been to Siargao ,and based from readings and photos I’ve seen from a friend who visited the area, it’s well very pretty and tempting . Known for its great surfing activity for surfing enthusiasts,that area seem to be getting hotter in the Philippine tourism map .Big possibilities is dawning for that area to become very touristic in years to come if this tourism trend carries on along with peace and stability of Mindanao if it'll come to happen . If one intends to engage in business it might be well worth as investment. I am sure I would like to see the area and surfs,must be beautiful.

But pls ignore this comment from this silly paranoia I have .
    I ‘m not sure if I would love to live permanently in that area despite its gorgeous scenery ,apart from ongoing political instability of Mindanao at the moment , with reference to a theoritical perspective ,with its location facing bare towards the Philipine sea and vast span of the Pacific Ocean ; right next to it is the Philippine deep running with approx 1,320 km having the depth of 10,540 meters which could well vanished Mt Everest if submerged .It is a major geologic faultline running that side of the Ph islands and well in around the Philippines and Mindanao has higher seismicity activity .Any major movement of these documented geologic plates has possibilities to create massive tsunamis . In Mindanao area facing the Celebes had already experienced occurrence of tsunami which killed around 8000 filipinos decades ago . I was only a lil tot at that time. It didn’t make big international news unlike the boxing day of 2004 in the Indian ocean which killed many nationalities .
    Personally ,I would feel very awkward to live in the area , or perhaps just mere cowardice and many horror visions .It might not happen in this lifetime, but preferably I like to dwell in a place that has less perceivable chances to get hit by any major horrors ,or just a simple place that guarantees all the way good night sleep.

Sorry to have said this, I don’t intend to scare you ,the feeling about the place is just personal to me for sometime .

8. OP
    OP
    yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    agreed and good point
    the presence of the worlds deepest trench indicates a large subduction zone and this huge earthquake potential and with all that water it could be
    a recipe for disaster. I'd personally be worried about this side of the phils when it comes to typhoons. Theres no protection between the land and the sea.
    Is this area considered safe in terms of terrorist activity though
    the brit embassy is saying don't visit mindinao at all
    mind yopu they said to avoid the whole of cebu last month as well

9. Philippinediver

Philippinediver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Too Cautious

I think you have misplaced paranoia.You are more likely to die on the crapper than in Siargao. If you live your life looking over you shoulder you will never live. this is a heavenly place that is far removed from Mindanao. If you continue to listen to the brillaint minds from the US or UK embassies you probably believe we are winning the war in the middle east. How about you visit there and form you own opinions. I couldn't think of a more peaceful and heavenly sent place.

10. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    It’s only an expression of a relatively different view of the place,no offence.
    I am sure to others it can be paradise only considering the aesthetic aspect of the location. But to people who are extra cautious ,it’s not only just the overwhelming ocular beauty that we want to buy and enjoy ,but putting into consideration several other elements surrounding the area, the whole picture can turn out to be different . I am interested to visit the place someday , but never any prospect of buying a property or living right there …huh I must have seen the 'Hand writing on the wall' :wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.