Dumaguete Info Search

Canadian Marrying a Filipina Divorce Papers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Canadianized, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Canadianized

Canadianized DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +224 / 27
    I am taking steps to leave the Philippines and move back to Canada. I want to take my g/f with me but I need to know my alternatives. Should I marry her here and take her to Canada or are there other alternatives. One of my concerns is that I have been married and divorced twice. Those papers are long gone. I never report that I have been married on my Visa extension here.

Do they investigate my previous divorce. I mean, if they did some kind of search they would see that I am divorced. Getting these docs would be a real pain in the butt.

I would like to bypass this requirement if I can.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Best Answer:
    Post #6 by Turbota, Jul 24, 2015 (5 points)
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I believe that a letter from your government saying you are (legally) single would work. What that paper is called or how you go about getting that I have no idea. I would also think it would be better for both parties involved if you were married in Canada (just in case you wanted to get divorced later on, or not, third time is a charm right? :wink: ). The US has a fiance visa for this purpose, I would think that Canada would have something similar.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 1,261
  5. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    Go to the Canadian Embassy in Manila and get a certificate of Legal Capacity to get married,, it says right on the document that it is not required by the Canadian Government for a Canadian to get married overseas. But it works here..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    When I married here I had to show a copy of my last divorce document from the U.S.

7. Turbota

Turbota DI Member

Retired Military Pilot / Fed Civil Service
    Ratings:
    +107 / 18
    Best Answer
    As a foreigner ... in order to gert married to a Filipina here in the Philippines, you will need a "Legal Capacity to Marry Certificate" issued by the foreigner's embassy.

This proves to the Phippines government that your not currently married to someone else.

In order to get this document, your embassy will want to see a copy of your latest divorce papers if you have been previously married to someone else.

Makes sense ...

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Canadianized

Ratings:
    +224 / 27
    What if you have never been married before?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1438308041,1438307999][/DOUBLEPOST]How does my embassy know if I have been married before if I don't tell them?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1438308224][/DOUBLEPOST]
    In theory that is a great idea. However, it may prove too difficult to get the fiance visa. I wonder if anyone else who is Canadian has tried this?

9. PatO

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    The embassy or consulate, at least the USA, do no know if you were married before or now. You raise your hand and swear you are telling the truth. I do not know if there is any follow up verification, but I doubt it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. OP
    OP
    Canadianized

Ratings:
    +224 / 27
    I have heard that before and you have confirmed it. I really have nothing to hide because I have been divorced legally I just don't have the papers and it takes forever to get them (2 divorces). Thanks so much for your comment!

• Like Like x 1
  11. PatO

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Fyi, you only have to show the paper from your last divorce. I only had a copy of mine, my ex has the original, and they accepted that. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1