Dumaguete Info Search

Vehicles & Servicing Car Battery

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by God Bless Texas, Oct 16, 2021.

1. God Bless Texas

God Bless Texas DI Member

Ratings:
    +292 / 17
    How long do car batteries last here?
    Any brand better than another?
    I know it is not fair to comapre USA to PH but my car is 3 years and 1 month old and I am looking at replacing the battery. Wow
    Maybe it is just the type from the dealer but I am looking for some extra input. I am accustom to biying 5 year batteries and they last 7+.
    At this rate I will be replacing batteries more than tires (but that is another thread).

2. OzeMike

OzeMike DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +621 / 46
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I find my car batteries on my Pajero here last 2 years sometime a tad longer. Motolite is a good brand here.

I always use AVM Batteries on the crossroads near Robinsons Mall.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    The constantly warm temperatures here shorten the life of batteries.

Do you leave your car outside in the sun here? Was it in a garage in Texas?

• Like Like x 2
  4. OP
    OP
    God Bless Texas

Ratings:
    +292 / 17
    Here the car is in a carport which is under a large tree, so it is shaded most of the time.
    In TX, it was outside while at home, work had a parking garage, so it was protected most of the time.
    In TX the batteries normally died in winter, but WOW, for the life expectancy to be 1/3 is unexpected.

Does this country recycle the batteries, or give a rebate when exchanging?
    I am looking to go to town tromorrow, after the Cowboy game.

5. Senjenbing

Senjenbing DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines Navy

Milliways - at the end of time and matter
    Ratings:
    +416 / 198
    You can get a rebate when exchanging but it's not much (P400-600 ish). I use my old batteries to power my PC, router and screens, TV and lights through an inverter. Ideal for power cuts.

I have a colleague in Texas and he also follows the Cowboys so I have to post this below......he really appreciated it.

Dallas Morning News - A 15 year old boy was at the center of a Dallas County courtroom drama yesterday when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of him. The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with child custody law and regulation requiring that family unity be maintained to the highest degree possible.

The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her. When the judge then suggested that he live with his grandparents, the boy cried and said that they also beat him. After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took the unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who should have custody of him.

After two recesses to check legal references and confer with the child welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the Dallas Cowboys, whom the boy firmly believes are not capable of beating anyone.

Cheers & All the Best
    S

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. MikeP64

MikeP64 DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +246 / 138
    As absurd as it may sound, your driving habits can have a significant impact on your battery life. Generally, if you drive shorter trips the faster your battery’s condition will deteriorate. The thing is that every time you start your car, it requires a huge amount of electrical power from your battery. This will have to be replenished by your car’s charging system.

Now if you have very short commutes or even very frequent brief trips, you are actually not allowing your car battery to get fully charged. This leads to undercharging resulting in acid stratification. To put it simply, the more frequent and shorter trips you have, the more that you are not charging your battery very well. This leads to a very short battery life. So instead of looking at a 5-year battery life, you’re now potentially looking at 3 years max.

A trickle charger after returning home could improve your battery life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JWBobbit

JWBobbit DI Member

Ratings:
    +254 / 0
    I got just short of 3 years from a new Mazda battery, I realised since the pandemic hit the driving instances are all short trips so probably prevented it from ever getting a good bulk charge.
    Replaced with a Motolite Gold which only has a 2 year warranty, would have preferred a Panasonic but nothing that would fit was available in DGT.

So I can avoid this and get the most out of the new battery I purchased this at Shopee https://shopee.ph/NOCO-GENIUS5-Batter-Charger-5AMP-i.303612062.10107829527
    NOCO GENIUS5 Batter Charger - 5AMP
    From Motoworld ( official distributor in the PH)

Has some smarts for recovery and balancing of cells and recovered my old battery and will use it now in a simple UPS setup. The Noco Genuis chargers get good reviews.

8. OP
    OP
    God Bless Texas

Ratings:
    +292 / 17
    Agree, since covid started I leave the property 2 or 3 times a month. 2 trips for produce, fish, bottled water (6km round trip), 1 trip for the rest of groceries, distance is 80 km for Bayawan or 170 round trip if I need to go to Duma.

I have a battety charger I use for the generator battery, pre Norecco or expected storm issues, but no regular maintance on the car battery. I will add it to the quarterly mainanace schedule.

I know the Cowboys are going to break my heart in December, but between now and Thanksgiving they put on a good show. Besides, it is fun to yell at the tv between 1am and 4:30am.
    Or watch football with coffee instead of beer.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dadof3at1ce

dadof3at1ce DI Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +111 / 11
    True story here too. I just had to replace the battery of my 2018 Honda CR-V. A 3 year old battery and I drive 62 miles a day to work and back every day. I had just washed my car, went to start it to move it around to park it in the garage and the car wouldn't start. So I popped the hood, saw a little bit of corrosion on the terminal and cleaned it. got out my charger/jumper and started right up. Pulled it into the garage and left it running for a half hour. That night had to pick up my wife from work, another 62 round trip with no issues. Went out the next afternoon to go to work and would not start again. Dashboard flickering making all crazy sounds. Tow truck came, pushed me out of the garage, tried jumping the car, started right up. Went got a new battery, no issues since. Apparently there are new gel batteries that are an "improvement", but anything can cause them to go bad quickly. I was told be prepared to change batteries every three years, pretty much like I am having to change tires. Cost of the battery? $200 USD.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. OP
    OP
    God Bless Texas

Ratings:
    +292 / 17
    This brings up a good point, is there a tow truck agency on the island. What if the problem is more than a jumpstart, how do people get their cars to the dealership or service shops?

A gel battery is what we have for the generator.....I am not a fan... give me the adrenaline rush that comes with the thought of it blowing up and spraying acid all over everything lol.
    OLD SCHOOL YA'LL

Also...DA BOYS R 5-1
    What a game, well worth waking up for

• Like Like x 1