Dumaguete Info Search

Car or Multicab rental in Dumaguete? Looking for updated/fresh suggestions.

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by curveball_inside, Aug 19, 2014.

1. curveball_inside

curveball_inside DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Car or Multicab rental in Dumaguete? Looking for updated/fresh suggestions for where to rent them for a day or two.
    Also, what to expect; issues like insurance, or what's considered too much to pay for rental, what to expect case of mechanical problems, etc.

2. baltoed

baltoed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +18 / 6
    It would be helpful if you listed what you *do* know first do we dont have to do useless postings?

3. OP
    OP
    curveball_inside

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nothing, I've never rented a car in this country. There is old info in the forum, but it's years old. And, what I do know, is things change often here; owners, managers, places come and go. I do have a Philippine license for class 1 and 2.

Will that do?

4. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Contact Ken's trading, a sponsor of this site;

Kens Trading- Car Rental - dumaguete

Tell them you were referred by Dumagueteinfo!

Larry

5. OP
    OP
    curveball_inside

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you, Larry.

6. baltoed

baltoed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +18 / 6
    Some things change..some do not.. I rented from RentACar...located on this Google map attached.... 10 years ago..they are still there.

My first impressions of renting.. Rent-A-Wreck at Avis Platinum pricing

*googling can be your friend*
    View attachment 11412

my additional 2 peso's would be to avoid at all cost those guys sitting in the airport...

Attached Files:

7. jon

jon DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ken at Ken's trading is a good guy, I new him years ago. but what you need to know about insurance anywhere in the Philippines is that for a foreigner it is essentially useless. If you are involved in any kind of accident and you are perceived as the deep pockets,(which you will be) you stand all liability. (or a lengthy expensive court case in which lawyers on both sides will suck you dry and and then the judge may rule against you anyway.) I'm quite sure Ken is insured, but will it realistically extend to you? Probably not. I'm sure there will be arguments to the contrary, but anyone with direct experience knows the facts here. just drive carefully and realize in the Philippines there are calculated risks you take everyday that you are not used to in your home country.
    Best plan is to hire a car or van with driver. But perhaps that's your Intent?

8. OP
    OP
    curveball_inside

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, Jon, for your detailed reply. Much appreciated.

9. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Very good advice indeed, one could expand it to many other situation but the essence of it is, I think, that you are on your own and it's up to you to make sure you come out unhurt and on top of the situation, expect in traffic ANYTHING to happen, so be aware...

Something else, how about tourists/residents that have international insurance coverage, do they cover third party damages...