Dumaguete Info Search

Home & Garden CARPENTRY

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by DAVE1952, Mar 15, 2018.

1. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,092 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Hi all,
    Do any of you know where to find a good Lumber/Timber yard between Valencia and Dumaguete? I need some good cut and dressed wood and would rather stay away for the big hardware stores.
    Also I have been looking for a portable bench of the type supplied by Black and Decker a workmate they called it in UK, it is a small foldable metal bench with a wood top in two halves that acted as a vice for clamping things. searched Lazada and they have no such thing available

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  2. merlinfish

merlinfish DI Junior Member

IT Consultant
    Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    Blood Type:
    O-
    I have been surprised by the limited variety and high costs of timber in Dumaguete. I have no experience if this is the same all over the Philippines. That said, Duplamilco on the main road out of Dumaguete going south has the best selection I have found and at reasonable prices. No idea about a WorkMate, if you find a supplier of something simlar at reasonable price, I'd be interested!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    do-it-center in rob's mall had a basic workmate ''in stock'' several years ago. today... who knows?
    shopping here, for other than sardines and tanduay, is an adventure in itself.... enjoy the ride.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I know what you are talking about with the workmate...had one some years ago. I have not seen anything similar here. There are many types of workbench plans available on-line so maybe you could build something to fit your needs. I found some decent clamps before but now out of stock when I wanted to buy on this trip home. Very hit and miss on what you can find...as I'm sure everyone knows.

Can't say anything about wood around Dumaguete but did get some wood at a lumber yard outside of Tanjay that were willing to cut everything to size and plane down. Normally something I would do myself but it was really cheap for their labor and I have not been able to master using an electric hand planer. I found a 13" Makita planer at Uymatio but they want around 50,000 peso for it...twice the US price so I will look in Korea later to see if I can find one at a better price. An invaluable tool to have if you want to do woodworking in my opinion.

I'd be willing to bet if you talked to the larger lumber yards that also make furniture you could find one that would cut and dress the wood. We were able to find one around Tanjay pretty easily so I'm sure it won't be too hard to find one around Dumaguete.

Shawn

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    DAVE1952

Ratings:
    +1,092 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Thanks gents for the info received, I just may have found the answer of where to go for Timber, a friend from DI knows a local boat builder who also does other types of woodworking and he is asking him on my behalf where the good places are, if I find a place worthwhile I will let you know, maybe I will visit Robs Mall to see if they have a workmate?

6. OP
    OP
    DAVE1952

Ratings:
    +1,092 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Hi Shawn thanks for your info, regarding Electric hand planers, I had one many years ago, the good ones that leave a real smooth surface rev at about 18,000, they act like a Gyroscope and yes they are difficult to handle, I managed to shave off the top of my finger with one and did not know that I had done it till I saw the blood, no pain at all that is the benefit of quality tools Ha-ha.
    I just bought a cheap Saw table from Lazada P9,000 I do not expect too much at that price, but it has a fast speed and with the right blade it is surprising what a clean cut you can get to just finish with a few strokes of a hand plane or sander. I did read a few reviews on a Makita table and was surprised it did not live up to their reputation?
    The first job I do is build myself a working table around 6'x3' I used to like these cheapo workmates I often used two of them in tandem as a saw horse, you can buy them in UK for £10, maybe next time I am back there I will send a couple in a Balikbayan box.

Dave

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  7. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Dave...I picked up a JET table saw, had very good reviews and from the use I've put it through I am quite pleased with it. Also came with a stand so it is a bit portable making it easy to move around .

I'm heading out to Korea for 5 weeks and I will be looking both on-base and off-base for some clamps and other tools and I'll check what they have for a workmate or similar, they are pretty handy.

Balikbayan box companies are available around most bases so I will be sending some stuff back as it will be a couple months before I head back to Korea for my next project.

Shawn

8. OP
    OP
    DAVE1952

Ratings:
    +1,092 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Went to Duplamilco yesterday and they had most of what I required and at the right price, good recommendation, Thanks