Dumaguete Info Search

Casaroro is Closed

Discussion in 'Tourist Information' started by sfgb35, Dec 24, 2011.

1. sfgb35

sfgb35 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If your planning a trip to Dumaguete, please note Casaroro waterfalls is currently closed to visitors.

2. mntnwolf

mntnwolf DI Member

university professor
    Ratings:
    +110 / 10
    Yeah, i was just yesterday talking to a barrio captain from Valencia, and he said all forest camp is closed, the swimming pool "wiped out" and access to Casaroro impossible for now. No estimate yet on when any might re-open -- there are higher priorities like roads & bridges of course. d*mn sad... a blow to our Tourism at just the wrong time.

3. OP
    OP
    sfgb35

sfgb35 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Casaroro - Tejeros Pools - Red Rock Waterfalls

Casaroro - The stairway and metal stairs are intacked however some areas are at risk and would need structural repair. The walkway to the falls is completely destroyed and the waters path now quite different. It would be accessible with some care. BUT would be very dangerous.

Sign and barrier - View attachment 7676 Barrier View attachment 7677 Stairs seem okies jsut minor damage - View attachment 7678 Walkway View attachment 7679 Walkway with new large rock field - View attachment 7680

Terejos Pools - In need of excavation . . .

View attachment 7681 View attachment 7682 View attachment 7683

Forest Camp - I didnt access Forest Camp, however from outside you can see the slide now heads straight into the river where as before it was into the pool.

View attachment 7685

Attached Files:

4. OP
    OP
    sfgb35

sfgb35 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Red Rock Access - The Access to Red Rock waterfalls is currently by motorcycle only. You will need to walk the last part up the hill. The small waterfall fed swimming pool, tables and chairs are destroyed how ever the new swimming pool has little damage. A new foot bridge will be opened in the near future. The scared landscape is worth looking at if you are familar with the area.

The Raod way - View attachment 7686 The old Bridge - View attachment 7687 The Temp Bridge - View attachment 7688 The small waterfall and swimming pool, all the chairs are gone - View attachment 7689 The Falls have lost the redness - View attachment 7690

Attached Files:

5. mntnwolf

mntnwolf DI Member

university professor
    Ratings:
    +110 / 10
    Thanks for the good information! Let's just hope that repairs proceed swiftly... but the refugees are higher priority for now, of course.

6. OP
    OP
    sfgb35

sfgb35 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Twin lakes is currently impassable to motor vehicles.

At present the road to Twin lakes is impassable to all types of motor vehicle, includine motorcycle. There is s large landslide blocking whats left of the roadway. You can pass on foot but its muddy and still a 4 kms hike up and down the steep gradients to get to the lakes. I find Twin lakes disappointing, visit lake balanan in Siaton in stead, there is a little waterfalls and you can walk al the way round in an hour or so.

Pics and updates to the tourist attractions available here Travel Blog: Tropical Storm Sendong

Hopefully the road ways and tourist sights will be open soon. I agree refugee's and human plight is the highest priority.

7. mntnwolf

mntnwolf DI Member

university professor
    Ratings:
    +110 / 10
    Thanks for that info. I hope they can open the road to Twin Lakes soon, i really enjoyed our trip there as it's so unspoiled.

But i agree that Balanan Lake above Siaton is superior, esp due to the nice lodge and restaurant -- my photos of our trip 2 years ago can be seen HERE.