Dumaguete Info Search

Cebu and Bohol now in state of calamity due to lack of water from El Niño

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by DavyL200, Apr 9, 2016.

1. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    CEBU CITY, Philippines (UPDATED) – After a closed door meeting in Cebu City, mayor Michael Rama declared a state of emergency due to the water shortage in the city.

The Metro Cebu Water District (MCWD) issued an advisory on Wednesday, April 6, saying the water deficit in Cebu had gone up to 19,000 cubic meters per day from the 15,000 cubic meters per day last Monday.

The Jaclupan and Buhisan dam water supplies are both at critically low levels.

According to a statement from the MCWD, "the MCWD will purchase close to 10,000 cubic meters per day from bulk water suppliers."

The MCWD called the water shortage "critical" and said on their Facebook page that 44 areas in Cebu City, Talisay City, Lapu-Lapu City, and Liloan town would experience low pressure to no water supply for 15 hours at a time from 6 am to 9 pm until water surface facilities are replenished with rain water.

Cebu's water supplier said it has asked an additional 1,200 cu. m. per day from Abejo Waters Corporation (AWC) for the Guadalupe injection point. AWC is currently supplying MCWD 4,000 cu. m. per day in Guadalupe. In Mandaue City, an additional 1,200 cubic meterse ad ay will enter its distribution lines.

"The additional volume is expected to benefit almost 11,000 households affected by the lowering of the water supply in Metro Cebu," said MCWD Acting General Manager Noel Dalena.Cebu City declares state of calamity due to water shortage

Bohol placed under state of calamity due to El Niño

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    And when it does eventually rain, the ground will be so hard, that the water will just run off the surface and flood everywhere.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2016
  3. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Someone should have been sinking some deep wells, there is a profit opportunity being missed here.

• Like Like x 1
  4. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    I wonder how much of that water is being lost to crappy infrastructure or user negligence. I remember meeting a Peace Corp worker on Panglao Island. He had a PhD in Engineering and was doing some volunteer work setting up water systems for people in the hills. He said they needed to charge for the water, otherwise the people would just leave the water running all the time.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    The same stuff happens in the US and strangely enough it is the California celebrities telling people to conserve who are the biggest wasters. Amy Poehler for one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    These "users" bodies are something like 70+% water. So, lots of water being wasted there as well. And oxygen.

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    So are you inferring that since bodies are 70+% water, and we all can concur that the Philippines is on a pathway to overpopulation that there is a possibility that all the Philippines water-body population with "tie up" the whole water reserves in the Philippines, leaving no water for other uses? Is this a case for drinking beer and being intoxicated with as much water replacement with alcohol as much as possible :dead:?, I think I understand the goal would be to raise the body alcohol content while lowering the water content so the bodies contain less water per person and then frees up water for others uses here, like washing paved areas? I think this type of water conservation concept would be supported by the San Miguel Corp. :happy:

• Funny Funny x 7
  8. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I hadn't thought that far, but I like where you're going with this.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Who are these bulk water suppliers? Is there some privately owned water in Philippines? That does not sound like a positive trend.

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Dude, out of curiosity, what do you disagree with? Out of all my posts, this is probably one of the less controversial since it's just a story. You don't believe me. :frown: