Dumaguete Info Search

Cell phone: Bring from US or buy in PI?

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by kaayo, Aug 26, 2017.

1. kaayo

kaayo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Blood Type:
    A+
    When I was there last, I could not message and chat on Facebook, using data SIM, with my old Samsung GT-S5282 (bought in 2012).

Can they all do that now? Or how do I know which phones can do this and which can't?

Would you recommend bringing a phone from the US (e.g. an LG Tribute HD for $49, it's Virgin Mobile, which I would unlock), or buying a phone there in the PI (in Dgte)?

Thanks.

2. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. tanjay

tanjay DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +107 / 30
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Your data sim was Globe or Smart?

4. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I have a Samsung S GT-7562 and the Wife did use a little for Facebook here, but I think when you buy your Smart/Globe SIM here you need to enable extras like MMS etc to have all working features.

Depending on where you plan to go, you can also look up the coverage here for Smart & Globe to decide which SIM will best suit your needs;

Utilities & Mobile - Cell Phone Coverage in Negros Map

*Edit:
    I bought my 2x Samsung's and 2x Nokia phones here, all worked fine so you should have no problems using Phones here that are made abroad (pretty sure all are made in China anyways) as long as they are unlocked so that you can use the local SIM Cards here...

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  5. Graham_B

Graham_B DI New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Don't forget most in the US are locked and you'd need an eprom burner to reprogram them; you can't just change the chip.

6. Leifen

Leifen DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Many phones are looked to a region, use it in the country where it is purchased for at least 10 minutes first. It will open it for use worldwide.

7. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I bought mine already unlocked from the UK, so when I got here I just put in a Filpino sim card in and bingo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You don't need any special tools or programs to unlock a US cell phone. Just call the mobile provider you bought the phone from and ask them to unlock it and they must do it. (There are some limitations.)

That was in 2015.

From the FCC:
    If your phone was able to make calls in the Philippines then it was capable of picking up 2g and 3g internet there as well. The Philippines uses the 900 and 1800 frequencies for calls and 2g/3g. (If your phone is cable of picking up the 900MHz the 1800MHz is going to be built into the phone as well.) The OP likely couldn't access the internet because he did not activate mobile internet with the local carrier(s). You have to text "3g" to a certain number to have that activated or you will not get mobile internet.

4g (or LTE) is another story. I believe the Philippines mainly uses band 1 (2100MHz) for their 4g. The rest of the world:
    USfrequencies.PNG

*Most LTE modems in phones can handle multiple LTE bands.

Example: my Google Pixel phone can pick up LTE bands 1-8, 12,13, 17, 20, 25-30 and 41

9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The UK and the Philippines (and all but one or two countries in Africa and the US) use the same standard frequencies. Us Americans like to do things our own way. Americans traveling abroad will need to have a "quad-band" phone (800,900,1800,1900MHz), whereas you can travel with your normal dual-band phones (900 and 1800MHz).

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Genius Genius x 1
  10. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    I did the same with my USA format open sim, quad band, HSDTP (sp?) Apple 6+. Actually never had problems with mail-order unlocked Samsung or LG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1