Dumaguete Info Search

Review Ceres Busses taking more standing passengers?

Discussion in 'Tourist Information' started by Dave_Hounddriver, May 31, 2017.

1. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Last few times I crossed over to Liloan, Santander and took the Ceres into Cebu the drivers/conductors have had people jammed like sardines in the aisles for most of the trip. Both ways.

Seems they leave the terminal with seated passengers only but as soon as they hit the road they jam them in. It would not bother me except that the standees are not polite in the least. The usually have their arse or backpack in someone's face and lean on the back of your seat and its very uncomfortable.

I found it so uncomfortable that I got out my phone and searched for how to complain to the LTFRB about overcrowded busses. I found the complaint form and they encourage people to complain about certain violations. Perhaps they even take action but guess what:

There is no complaint that can be made about overcrowded busses or too many standing passengers but there IS a complaint about if the bus does not pick up a passenger.

I'm guessing that people were complaining that they were not being picked up because the bus was full so now they pick up everyone who wants to jam inside. Does that sound like a good guess? Does anyone know any confidential Ceres sources to ask about that. I am sure they did not jam them in the aisles like that in the past. Used to be people only stood for up to half an hour and only when the conductor knew someone was getting off in that time.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. DELETED-shotshapers

DELETED-shotshapers Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Commission Commission Commission

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    We have caught the Ceres Bus many times from the Ceres terminal and each time they wait until the aisles are full of standing passengers before leaving, it remains this way until we get off at Malatapay so assume many are heading to Bayawan and have no other choice but to stand until a seat becomes available. Ceres is obviously aware of this practice as I have noticed the Bus stops about halfway home where a guy gets on and checks the ticket stubs while the bus continues on its way, once he has looked over the stubs and does a bit of writing, then looks over the passengers maybe to do a quick head count, the Bus stops for the next oncoming Ceres Bus where both Buses then pull over for the guy to transfer to the Bus heading back to Dumaguete. I doubt complaining will change their way of operating at the least...

4. OP
    OP
    Dave_Hounddriver

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I think it depends what rule they are breaking and what the result is. If no one at LTFRB cares about overloaded busses then I agree, complaining will do nothing. But if they were letting those people ride without the government getting their BIR money I bet complaining would get results :angelic:. Unfortunately, I think even the standing passengers pay as much as the seated passengers so there is no leverage there.

But I can sure see why more people are taking the boat to Cebu.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I have spoken to some about catching the Bus and I NEVER plan to be stuck for that long in the one seat, hence why I will fly each and every time for the convenience of a short trip and being able to rest in the Hotel room for a good LONG time before any companions would arrive via the Bus. I also HATE water and the thought of catching a Boat/Ferry puts the willys right up me! At least if the plane crashed into the ocean on its journey, with any luck it would be lights out instantaneously! :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    Are you talking about aircon buses or the economy. The latter was quite usual they have passengers standing in the aisle. With aircon buses I had never that experience coz as a result when all seats were occupied no more stops to pick up more passengers. I use to take the Ceres from Cebu South terminal to Lilo An to catch the ferry to Sibulan more than once in the past.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Somewhere or other I read that these Buses are licensed for 61 + 20 Standing :facepalm:

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 2
  8. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    It all depends what type of bus. 61 seats for instance should be a pretty big one. But the newest models I see driving around will make that number for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Here in Dumaguete we (now) catch the Air-con Bus, caught the non-Air-con Bus ONCE, swear I lost a few kilograms in the 25 klik journey! :dead:

10. OP
    OP
    Dave_Hounddriver

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    YES EXACTLY! Its the way it used to be and now its not. All the aircon busses I have been on in the last month or so between Lilo An and South Bus terminal are now crowded to the nuts with standing passengers once they get to about Argao and all the way into Cebu.

Maybe I am just unlucky on the 4 busses I was on this last month but all 4 were the same and it did not used to be that way.

• Informative Informative x 4