Dumaguete Info Search

Changes

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by cabb, May 20, 2019.

1. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    I've been active here for a couple of years and there are lots of members that have been here much longer. In my short time here, I've noticed a decrease the number of posts and lots of senior members post much less than in the past. I realize some people lose interest or their priorities change. I'm also wondering if it's just that there are less people moving to Dumaguete, so as older members pull back there are less new people who participate. Thoughts?

2. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    Or we are dying off. I don’t know Cabb, given the perils of voicing an opinion I try to restrict myself to attempts at humour. You never know who you might upset. That and if I’ve got any information on a service/resource I try to constructively comment. The Mexican Food Controversy being a prime example. Was going to contribute to the Indian food thread but might be subject to Gandhi’s revenge...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pompolino

Pompolino DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +404 / 53
    ...or Bombay belly ...

I know I am replying to two far more senior members than myself but over the years I have been here, I have noticed it happens in waves, waves of great activity and waves of inactivity.

My impression of Dumaguete is not so much a reduction of people moving here but what I have noticed is a change in the type of person coming here - from more mature men to couples and also younger men (or maybe they just seem younger because I am getting older ! ). Whatever it is, it seems that economically the city is flourishing - there always seems to be a new restaurant opening, there is a lot of building going on and as been written recently here a great deal of new and improving infrastructure (like the 2 new hospitals). I believe a lot of this is due to the influx of foreigners because other than the sugar which is controlled by those north of us and some tourism in and around, Dumaguete doesn't seem to have a major industry pushing it forward.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I've been a member for over a decade now...d*mn that went by fast. The forum does seem to ebb and flow with posters and topics. It is still a great place for info in my opinion as well as a few chuckles here and there.

I would guess that not everyone that lives in and around Dumaguete are into forums and are doing their own thing as living in the PI.

Shawn

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Post and thread counts have been quite steady for the past 2 years. Active users are actually up.

6. OP
    OP
    cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    I'd be interested to see those statistics for a longer period. That addresses part of my perception. It would be interesting to see how something like that for the top 50 posters based on number of posts have increased or decreased over time. I'm not asking you to do something that isn't already in the tool or spend any significant effort.

7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You can't break it down by poster/top posters.

The last data point is lower because it is not showing a full month. Nothing has really changed for the last 2 years other than who is doing the posting. I don't post as much because I have either 1. answered the questions being asked/gave my opinions on the topic ad nauseum 2. don't know the answer or 3. I currently have other priorities/interests with questions that do not relate to Dumaguete or couldn't be answered on this forum.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I was posting quite a bit some years ago when were building our house, which led to great conversations and some truly good friends that we met along the way.

Not as much to post now, other than a few projects on the house here and there (I do need to update a few previous posts as things were completed).

Really do thank the many posters as we've found some nice restaurants and places to find things we were looking for that would have been more difficult without this forum.

Shawn

• Like Like x 7
  9. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Good post Cabb.....I don't know...really.....It is hard to live in the Philippines, and I hear this from Filipino friends, mostly ex-Austalia or ex-US and even beyond.....Full credit to the crime rate severely decreased due to the current government competence.......but inflation, government rates, yes....less crime...higher prices....I actually think the higher prices would have happened anyway......But I still hear from expats and Filipinos....grumbling.....

I don't know......my wife just came back from a month across the Visayas, last week - we have some beautiful land near Bacolod....but she was really undecided.....Personally I am extremely game to move there......But she is a nurse here in Oz....and less impressed.....We will sort this out soon.....I am retired now, and she will be retired in a few months....So we make the big decision soon.....Until she went there lately it was Philippines - no contest.....Now it is 50/50.....Honestly I am so tired of this drama I really don't care much.....But our lot in Negros is fantastic and beautiful and we could be almost self sufficient with what we grow there......plus Australian pension payments and my US Social Security.......So that would work....as would staying here as well......... I like the idea of living on Negros.....On our incomes it would be very good.....quality of life....maybe not so wonderful - but good enough....I hope......Yes, I think on our large lot, we can do wonders in a very secure up-market subdivision. Time will tell....But I want us on our way early next year with the house under construction......Fingers crossed.....

10. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Regarding the real estate market dying....I can only speak for two places.....One is Japan...in general....and the other is Western Australia - away from population centres.......In Japan, it is mainly rural where the young people left, and the oldies died or moved on to aged care......In WA it is mainly farmers lacking profit to remain, so selling out to majors (some overseas investors).....and the local towns dying out......

The sad fact is for foreigners.....Japan at most has 90 day visas....and after that you have to leave - perhaps to South Korea (the cheapest) for a few days....Here in Western Australia, you can buy a very cheap country house and live there for the duration of the visa - but like Japan.....leave before it expires.....It sucks both ways.....We love Japan....I lived there a few years....It is beyond fantastic.....So there is a Plan C where we buy a house in Japan, perfectly legal, and then do rotations of the 90 day visas.....of to Korea a couple days and come back....

The only issue - is that we have heard that Japanese immigration officers.....will, after a few round-trips - suggest we stay out of Japan longer........to ensure we are not violating their immigration program.....I understand.....It is still Plan C......But Japan is the finest place on this globe.....Honto!