Dumaguete Info Search

Charities Around Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by The Dane, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    I am going to look into local charities, both to promote them on this site and something I can get involved in myself.

I am personally looking to do something with orphan / abandoned kids or a childrens hospital, but I would like to know about all serious charity organisation so we can make a list for the main site on what they do and how to contact them if one should choose to help out.

Any suggestions?

2. sheelah

sheelah DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I just found out about this site while I was surfing the net and I would like to thank you for creating this. For the longest time, I couldn't find anything about Dumaguete.

By the way, if you want to do charity work about abandoned kids, my suggestion is for you to contact the local Diocese of Dumaguete like the Cathedral church in Perdices Street. There was a priest I know a few years ago who was involved in the youth programs. His name was Father Balongag. I'm not sure if he's still in that parish though.

3. Kuya

Kuya DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    That is a fantastic idea. I recently read about a business in Bacolod that had given Christmas gifts to 50 orphans in the area...using a very creative fundraising idea.

Actually, our company here in Cincinnati uses this same method of fundraising and donates the proceeds to a charity which builds schools in impoverished areas of the world.

4. sheelah

sheelah DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Hey, Kuya , I just read your travel blog and I just want to let you know that the transition between Dumaguete and Cincinnati for your fiancee won't be too dramatic. I am from Dumaguete and is now residing in San Diego and the change was actually not bad. Just make sure to look for asian stores around the area so that she can have filipino food. One thing I looked for when I came here was rice and soy sauce:wink: Of course, IHop didn't have soy sauce but I lived, hehehehe!

5. Kuya

Kuya DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Hi Sheelah...thanks for the note. I guess I just remember how difficult it was for me to adjust to so many new things, even just as a visitor for a few weeks in the Philippines. I stayed at her house in Bacong for one night, but the "wimpy" American in me had trouble handling the heat without A/C and the lack of running water. The next night, I requested a transfer to a hotel with hot, running water and air-con (in this case, South Seas) :wink:

I just can't imagine actually getting on a plane, knowing that I was leaving my home for a new home....a place I know nothing about. However, you are not the first Dumagueteno-American to say this transition is not as difficult as it seems. Would you believe there is a Filipino husband and wife living a few buildings down from me that graduated from Sillliman? Marilyn was quite excited to hear this. She will need to know people from her place. I know I took solace in meeting fellow Americans while in Dumaguete.

As for the rice, I doubt it's quite as good as what she's accustomed to. I rarely eat rice, but perhaps that is going to change :wink:

6. OP
    OP
    The Dane

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Move from Philippines to a Foreign Country

I did the move the other way, not from America but from Denmark, but I had plenty of trips to do my research before making the decision.

Several of my Danish friends married Filipinos as well, 1 couple now living here in Boracay here in the Philippines after 3 years in Denmark and 2 other couples are happily living in Denmark.

Denmark is very cold in the wintertime, but all of them seems to have adjusted well.

7. OP
    OP
    The Dane

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Dumaguete Charity

I am happy you found the site, it should get easier and easier to find the site as Google and other search engines crawls it and add pages to their searches.

I was having the same problems finding good information about Dumaguete before my trip and consequent move here, which is the main reason I decided to open this website.

Now if I can use this website to help other people find the joy in Dumaguete I have found, then I am definately on the right track :smile:

As for the charities, I think that might be a good way to go, I do not want to get involved personally in any religious stuff, but if I can help their charity without any religious involvement from my side then that would work for me too :smile:

It is the end result for the people in need I am concerned about, not my spiritual status.

8. sheelah

sheelah DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    My husband stayed at Bethel when he came to visit. They didn't have hot water so I moved him to Worldview. And yes, he looked like a melting snowman because he came to visit during summer time. The good news was that he lost weight while he was there:smile:

I guess one big thing she will have to get used to is the cold since you live in Ohio. But she will adapt in time so just be patient and have a lot of warm clothes on hand:smile:

As for leaving home for a new home, that's when your Love comes in handy. Knowing that you'll always be there to help her adjust, she'll be fine. Just make sure to have phone cards handy when the bout of homesickness attacks:smile: By the way, it's nice to know that you have neighbors who are from Dumaguete. I'm sure that they will welcome her when she finally arrives.

Rice: Buy it in an Asian Store so that it will taste the same as our rice.My husband eats rice but he has to have soy sauce on it :D So maybe that trick will work for you too.

9. sheelah

sheelah DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I haven't been back in Dumaguete for 3 years now and I am quite amazed at the change. There was no Goldilocks when I left. I don't remember some of the restaurants that were mentioned as well. I just read about McDonalds and I'm glad that there's finally one in Dumaguete even though I read that a few people were not happy about that. By the way, you forgot to mention the burgers at Tasters. I have to say that they're better than Scooby's or Jollibee:smile:

As for the charities, you don't have to be Catholic to help out so don't worry about it. I'm sure they will be very happy. Just another suggestion for you to think about. There's also one orphanage that we gave gifts to back when I was in high school. It was the Rainbow Orphanage. I'm not sure if it still exists though.

10. OP
    OP
    The Dane

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Bethel Hotel

No hot water at Bethel?

Must have been a glitch, I have stayed there several times, and it has always been well run and everything was working fine :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.