Dumaguete Info Search

CHED grants Silliman

Discussion in '☋ Education ☋' started by dumaguetenia, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dumaguetenia

dumaguetenia DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Dumaguete City, Philippines Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Front Page
    Negros Oriental

CHED grants Silliman
    autonomous status

The Commission on Higher Education has granted an autonomous status to Silliman University in Dumaguete City for five years, from March 11, 2009 to March 30, 2014, a press release from the school said.

This is the third consecutive time that Silliman has been granted full autonomy. In his letter, CHED chairman Emmanuel Angeles lauded Silliman, citing its accomplishments, adherence to quality assurance, and commitment to public responsibility and accountability as a higher education provider in receiving the distinction.

An autonomous status, which is given to a select number of private higher education institutions in the Philippines, recognizes Silliman’s ability to independently develop and offer quality programs that respond to the demands of time, the press release said.

Silliman considers this distinction a challenge to further enhance its programs and services along its quad-focal functions of instruction, research, extension, and faith formation.

This complements its thrust of widening its network of partners in the country and abroad, the press release added.*

Web Welcome to the VISAYAN DAILY STAR Website

2. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I'm caught out on this one a little. One family member is a Silliman alumna and another is a current student.

I was under the impression that CHED was a regulator of post-secondary institutes of learning. I now discover that its mandate extends only to privately owned entities, I'm further advised that "trade" type schools are regulated by another agency.

Now you tell me that Silliman (and perhaps others too?) have been granted an autonomous status. What's left for the regulator to regulate?

3. OP
    OP
    dumaguetenia

Ratings:
    +4 / 0

hi..davfitz ! more than you can count :wink: . have time to read ? this site will help to answer your very question. Have a nice day ! from spring canada.

Welcome to the Official Website of the Commission on Higher Education

4. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Thanks. I found what I needed and bookmarked the URL you gave for my future reference. It's more than a little ironic that a Dumaguete native working in Canada advises the Canadian living in Dumaguete.

Again my thanks and a greeting from Summer!

5. OP
    OP
    dumaguetenia

Ratings:
    +4 / 0

:D :D :D :D :D that's why life is wonderful davfitz, if we want it to be. We learned from each other the good thing in life and fight the not so so good to make it right. It is your time to injoy life and be happy you all deserve that. I am 25 years away from that , contributing more to that retirement dreams.:D

missing the tulips ? mines start coming out :wink:

take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.