Dumaguete Info Search

Chikungunya

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Pompolino, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Pompolino

Pompolino DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +404 / 53
    I returned home from Dumaguete August 16 about 2 weeks later I developed a bad fever and other symptoms. After multiple unsuccessful blood tests and chest x-rays my doctor sent me to hospital where for 4 days I had so many tests I felt like a pin cushion and x-Ray model. No resolutions were found and I was released. Today I had a call from our state public health authority and they say they continued working with the blood and I tested positive to Chikungunya. My partner who is from Manila but living now in Dumaguete has never heard of it. The public health authority tell me it's a mosquito transmitted disease most probably from my time in Dumaguete. Have any of the readers suffered this or know of this?

I have a friend from India who told me that it is a common disease there. Here in Sydney, Australia it is unknown and my doctor said he had to look it up as he's never experienced anyone with it before.. I am now getting better but have had a very rough 3 and a half weeks.

I would appreciate any information .

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  2. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Thanks for sharing. I never heard of it so looked it up. Although I'm sure it is not fun to experience Chikungunya, it reads like it is not as serious as Dengue Fever, a fairly common mosquito disease. Glad you recovered. Cheers

3. OP
    OP
    Pompolino

Pompolino DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +404 / 53
    Thanks Pat,

No, not nearly as serious as Dengue Fever but was wondering given that I most probably caught it in Dumaguete and did so in only 2 weeks of visiting if it is common or even known there. The public health authority here were also interested in dates and address I had stayed in Cebu having stayed one night at Hotel Elizabeth and just visiting the malls there. In Dumaguete I did a number of outdoors things from Twin Lakes, Siquijor and Casaroro Falls but at dusk each day I was conscious of being bitten by tiny mosquitos just in and around my partners home in Dumaguete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Wow, after 18 years in Cebu and Dumaguete I have never heard of it. Glad you finally found the cause and hope you are back to speed soon.

Cheers....Ron

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. TyReck

TyReck DI New Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I lived in India a couple of years and shortly after a field trip in India my 12 year old got a terrible fever very high and continued up and down for about 4 months. after returning to Europe (month 4) we had her tested up and down. they never found a thing, and after about a month "it" just never came back

• Informative Informative x 1