Dumaguete Info Search

Christmas in the Philippines – What's it really like?

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by glamourpuss, Nov 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glamourpuss

glamourpuss DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This year will be the first time i've been in the philippines over Christmas, and I was wondering if some of the people who have been here for a while could give me some insight as to what it's really like during the holidays.

I know that many filipinos head home to see family and loved ones and I've heard that traveling during this time can be nearly impossible. That ferries will be over booked and sailings will be cut. With so many people on holidays visiting family, how do businesses cope? Do they shut down? Does everyone get time off? Will stores be closed in the days leading up to Christmas? Or just on the 24/25th?

What about resorts and other foreign owned places? Do they give their staff time off or will they be open business as usual (I'm thinking about places like Why Not and other Expat hangouts)

I know this is also peak tourist time, so I presume somethings must stay open.

What do foreigners,who don't have any family here, do during holidays? Or is everyone on this board married to a filipino and goes to visit their family?

2. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I know what you are really worried about. Yes, Santa does visit the Philippines.

3. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    ... and he is wearing a mask of Barry White and sings "Winter Wonderland" and crawls out of each single speaker in town since mid september...

4. Coyotes

Coyotes DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! none of that cold snow, thank god! brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

5. aying

aying DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    x-mas tunes are now playin' Rhoody?...

hmmm party party party! thats christmas in Dumaguete.........

....after which comes..... hypertension... and all other aches brought upon by all the lechon, beer etc.....

..YES!! Dumaguete, here I come!!!

6. OP
    OP
    glamourpuss

glamourpuss DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ummm... thanks....

but seriously... do i need to stock up on groceries cause all the stores are gonna be closed or what?

7. jesusitshot

jesusitshot DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    There is always some where open, don't worry join the swing of things and just have a jolly good time. Its more about airlines being booked than any other transport normally one can squeeze on a ferry but watch for over loading.

There has been cases of new filipino submarines at holiday times, but its getting more rare. But who wants to travel away from the nice people of Dumaguete. By the way its christmas here when there is a "ber" in the month, lol.

Last year I barbacued a turkey on a beach went very well with the cold beer and white wine. Just do your thing and enjoy. Happy Christmas in Paradise... Keep cool and never get stressed.

8. Teacher

Teacher DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    LOL you asked Christmas!!!

The longest christmas season on the planet. From September to January 6th (Three kings). althought the giving never ready stops for us expats in the Philippines. So keep your christmas spirit all year. Have a very merry Christmas. Sometimes I felt like I would lose my mind if I heard one more Christmas song but you learn to block it out. Not to bad at all.

9. aying

aying DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    As jesusitshot has indicated... don't worry, plenty of stores will be open..until the 24th.. PROBABLY not much on 25th.. for sure it will open up again on the 26th... in short... a 2 day stock should be enough...........

But try to avoid going 2 days before Christmas... most if not all supermarkets/grocery stores will be very busy...

..IF by any chance.. you run out of food... go over to you neighbor(announced or un-announced) on Christmas day...and I'm sure they will not have a problem having you for a meal or two.... that's the spirit of christmas......

and yes, avoid traveling from the 20th till the 05th of January.. specially by plane... its going to be a headache...

Indeed, christmas started 2 months ago.... semtem-BER...... :smile: :smile: :smile:

10. Boom'E'rang

Boom'E'rang DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Christmas in the Philippines

September: Christmas songs start

October: Still Christmas songs get more airtime

November: Christmas lights start to twinkle on the outside wall of houses. (In big cities like Manila, sometimes houses are totally lighted, turned into ashes)
    Disposable Christmas stuff from China fill every shop around the Philippines
    So shopping malls draw people and taxis become illusive. But not much in Dumaguete.

Early December: Shopping-spree-like-no-other starts.

Mid December: Shopping malls is a traffic jam inside.

Say 20th December: Balik-Dumaguete (Dumaguete returnees) start to fill every available transportation.

December 23rd, 24th, 25th, even 26th: Air planes, Ferries and Buses seats are outnumbered by passengers. Trips will not be cut though. I booked my ticket as early as May for a December flight.

December 30, 31 - January 1,2,3, just a playback of December 23-26

So I advise you to take the plane from Manila direct to Dumaguete. Your hassle would be the booking and transferring from International to Domestic airport. (good luck for the booking at this time). If you take the Cebu route to Dumaguete I can’t tell you of a pleasant trip unless you hire me to guide you (that would be my part time job, lol.)

Stores stay open until the 24th. 25th usually closed but others are open.
    Government offices are surely closed on the 25th.
    Resorts I have no idea. Rhoody may have a good advise for this.

Don't back out. Go on! You can do it. DI is there for you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.