Dumaguete Info Search

City of Gentle People

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by The Dane, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    I went out last night with a couple of good friends.

We had a good meal and some beers in Coco Amigos, and when they closed around midnight we walked down to Why Not to continue the fun.

On the way down to Why Not 9 youngsters on 3 scooters zoomed by and threw a bottle at us while yelling Filipino Rock'n'roll...

The bottle didnt hit any of us, but shattered in between us... Pretty scary if that thing had hit one of us, that would certainly have been hospital time...

Is this the famous Filipino hospitality?

City of gentle people...

2. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    There's always a few jerks around.
    [​IMG]

God's Kitchen from Gary Larson's Far Side cartoon series

3. wretched_hyena

wretched_hyena DI Member

Artist
    Ratings:
    +6 / 7
    Ah, the spice of life!

It reminds me of my own bumper sticker that was in response to another you may have seen. Mine read: Life's a peach; then you pie!

4. Newfie

Newfie DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A silliman student was shot dead last night near St.Pauls. 22 year old Iranian.

5. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    My wife tells me that she read a Belgian retiree was stabbed to death a couple weeks ago...didn't know any details though. Then again, an old German and his wife were murdered on Bohol last month..

6. Kuya

Kuya DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I haven't been to Dumaguete in 2 years, but after reading this and other recent posts I have to ask if it is worth visiting ever again. All that endeared me to this place (with the exception of my fiancee, of course) has been overshadowed by what I've been reading at this forum the last few weeks.

My beautiful memories are starting to decay :(

7. tfa1957

tfa1957 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Just to be fair, some of those posts that were here a few weeks ago were way over the top and attempted to instill fear for the area. It is sad that a person was shot and a couple were stabbed. I presently live in a very small community of under 15,000 in upstate New York, and we are sort of the larger community in this area, so you get the picture of how rural it is, and last year a person killed a woman with an ax, and there was also a couple shootings and two drownings. Yet, I can and do walk around town at any hour of the day or night, and there are no unsafe areas, but crime still happens......everywhere.

8. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I do agree with you 100%. Crime is everywhere in this planet. You just have to be aware of your environment. Just because of the incident (shooting of the Iranian student, in Duma.) that doesn't mean it's random we have to know the exact story. We don't know anything until we find it out. So kuya is saying it has changed his planned to visit the City of gentle people (still the city of ...) because of the news he has been reading for the last few weeks. Yes, we still feel safe to walk around Dumaguete even at night whenever we visit my city. The city is growing and many people from all over the Philippines, not to mention foreigners, moved to Dumaguete for its beauty, hospitality and peacefulness. I still would say, Dumaguete is one of the safest cities in the PI :smile:

9. chi town

chi town DI Member Showcase Reviewer Air Force Active Duty

Ratings:
    +47 / 1
    crime

Those reported crimes that resulted in deaths are regrettable however they pale in comparison to what goes on in the rest of the world. Being from the US, I have never been a victim of a crime nor have any of my family but I still like the odds in Dumaguete. It would have to get a whole lot worse for me to change my plan to settle there.

10. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    At this stage I wouldn't stress too much over Dumaguete crime...or Bohol...but if these things get regular enough - it will put people off the idea of moving there. Hope it stays blissful! Maybe the election winners will solve some problems....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.