Dumaguete Info Search

Civil wedding requirements

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by winterspring, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winterspring

winterspring DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello everyone!

Does anybody here knows what are the requirements for Civil wedding? My bf and i are planning to get married here in dgte. I hope to hear from u soon! Thanks in advance. :smile:

2. archon_manofsteel

archon_manofsteel DI Forum Adept Blood Donor

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Blood Type:
    B+
    my advice is to visit the National Statistics Office. Also, since its a Civil wedding, its best too to visit the Hall of Justice. Just inquire.

Congratz in advance! :smile:

3. bikerdave

bikerdave DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    If one of you are a foreigner you will need to get an affadavit from your embassy stating that you have never been married before. If you are from a non english speaking country it must be translated to english by your embassy also.The both of you also will have to take a marriage seminar. There is no longer any way around that one now. It takes about 2 weeks if all goes well and If the local Mayor or Judge has time.also you need a CTC tax certificate and a barangay clearance that you actually live in said area

4. OP
    OP
    winterspring

winterspring DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tax cert and brgy. clearance?? is that all? no need for birth certs, etc.?

5. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    To get complete information from those of us who are not mindreaders you will need to tell us a little bit more about your circumstances. Bikerdave gives good advice if one of you is a foreigner. Ditto for the waiting period and the seminar. Go to the Dumaguete City Hall (presently enjoying temporary quarters just to the immediate west of the fire station) to obtain the necessary licence. They will furnish all the details.

The Filipino will need a "CerNoMar" to confirm singleness and a certified copy of his/her Birth Certificate from the NSO. You can skip the Hall of Justice.

The really best advice is to Google it up and read several of the hits. We all might have forgotten something.

My personal peeve was that this nominal separation of church and state did NOT apply during the mandatory marriage counselling. Religion, and a particular brand of the Christian aspect of same had IMHO too great a presence at the sessions my (now) wife and I were required to attend.

Be patient and Good Luck!

6. Teacher

Teacher DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I not sure but for my wife and I

My wife and I had to have a form that her mother and father was required to sign saying it was okay with them that we married. We went civil registrar that was where we got our wedding license. Your BF will need a capacity of marriage from his embassy and passport. A marriage seminar is also required. your birth certificate. after your marriage then you have to go back to the civil registrar have your documents stamped then you have to make sure your documents make to the NSO. Hope this helped and congrats on your coming marriage..

7. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Teacher raises a critical point for post-nuptial consideration:

"then you have to go back to the civil registrar have your documents stamped then you have to make sure your documents make to the NSO"

Depending on what other interactions you will have with the Philippine authorities and the speed at which these must take place, this can be critical.

Request an "advance endorsement" of the Marriage Certificate from the local Civil Registrar (at City Hall) to the NSO. This will permit you to hand carry the document to the NSO. The NSO now will (should) enter your particulars into the national data base so that you can file for a NSO authenticated Certificate of Marriage. This will not be an instant service. You jump the queue by paying a fee but that simply takes your documentary requirement to the head of the next processing cycle. It does NOT effect today's work at that office.

I say should because it does not always work that way!

Here is a link to the NSO web site:

National Statistics Office, Philippines Official Web Site

Beware, this is as much an obstacle as an assist. The secret is your personal intervention and your frequent follow-up. The NSO will eventually get tired of seeing you and give you what you seek in order to get rid of you.

Clear so far? If your answer is yes, you have already been in the Philippines too long! Je! Je! Je!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.