Dumaguete Info Search

Cockfighting

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Notmyrealname, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    So do animals find being made to fight each other pleasant? I ask because I thought cock-fighting is a national 'sport' here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Cocks will instinctively fight each other. Instinctual behaviors usually tend to feel quite good, even if the end result leads to quite a bit of suffering and/or regret. :wink: So, yeah, I would say that cocks do take some basic "pleasure", a release of dopamine/enkephalins to the brain as a reward, for the behavior.

3. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    I think more along the lines of instinctual behaviour as a survival technique - that is, survival of their genes. Humans if thrown into an icy river will instinctively grasp at anything to survive - but do they enjoy it? Only one way to find out Mr R! :wink:

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Not really the same thing. Cocks fighting is more along the lines of reproductive and establishing dominance instinctual behaviors, which we all know feel pretty awesome (though if you have regularly been the loser, or have never won, in the human versions of these competitions you likely won't see the satisfaction in it). It isn't an instinctual behavior that is activated through fear like in your example. Cocks are able to, and usually will, back away from a fight once they realize they aren't going to be the winner. And here is where cock fighting becomes unnatural; humans do not allow them to back out of the fight, along with strapping weapons to their legs to inflict more damage than would be naturally inflicted.

How could cock fighting be made more natural/humane? Continue to breed them for higher levels of aggression if you want but get rid of the razor blades and let the fight end when one walks away. But I seriously doubt that will ever happen. That would be quite boring to watch. (Not that I enjoy watching the "sport" any.)

• Like Like x 2
  5. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Cocks normally have about 10 hens and in their natural habitat will fight any other cockerel that comes near them.
    I have Turkeys and need to keep the males apart, I even get attacked by a the dominant male.
    That one is next for the dinner plate.:dead:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    As I said - they are protecting their genes. They want their genes to be the ones passed on, the same as with a lion who may kill all the cubs of a lioness so that when he mates with her his genes are the ones which are passed on - and not those of his 'rival'. A cock is fighting another cock to secure as many females as possible to take his genes. But as you so rightly said, it is very artificial and there are additions (metal spurs) which are all about inflicting damage and pain.

Interesting how well this fits within a Christian nation.

• Like Like x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Has he seen you messing about with his women? :wink:

• Funny Funny x 7
  8. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Plenty of men take pleasure in beating down others yet that isn't legal.

Cock fighting is clearly against the law but its just one of yet another one of those Filipino laws that only applies when they care to make it apply. Cock fighting is to ingrained into Filipino's as a past-time / national sport due to the Spanish and as such no one dares upset people by saying its cruel and require it be stopped. But then in regard to the same law plenty of Filipino's treat their dog very poorly inflicting injury and beating it for just being a dog and you can report it all day and no one cares. Yet lets see if the law is still ignored if its a foreigner that is reported....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Oh, you should just give up on that one. Don't try to make sense out of the behaviors/cultures of religious countries. They believe in books full of contradictions, why would they not have the same contradictions in their own life?

Yes it is. Boxing, UFC, Pride, every martial art competition. We have been beating down each other for sport, profit and disagreements (legally, and widely encouraged) ever since we started walking upright. And to stretch that even further: It is so common (and legal) that we have massive "defense" corporations that make machines and bombs that allow one side to completely beat down and dominate the rest of the world with ease.

It is not illegal. They have laws that specifically stating that it is legal and how it should be done. It is only illegal, like most gambling sports, when it is done outside of the government's control. You may disagree with and not like the "sport", but your displeasure doesn't make it illegal.

I guarantee you that fighting cocks have one of the best lives a chicken could possibly have...up and until fight night. The dogs could only dream of getting that much food, attention and exercise from their owners.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    IMHO ... cockfighting is a crude, cruel, barbaric blood sport and I wish they would crack down on it and eliminate it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1