Dumaguete Info Search

comfrey anyone?

Discussion in 'Horticulture' started by kelpguy, Mar 26, 2017.

1. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    does anyone have comfrey, if so, i'd like a start.

thanks...

2. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
  3. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    JUST beat me to it mate! I was curious so googled it also and came back and you just beat me to the punch! :smuggrin:

Kelpguy I think it would be wise to expand a little more on exactly what/why you want it...

When I had a serious problem from a wound infection after my motorbike accident back in '84/85, my Dr put me on Comfrey tablets to try and assist with the healing, not sure if it did anything as I ended up having the steel plate removed and cutting away all of the infected area to rid me of the infection after the staph entered my bloodstream...

Says here;
    I feel comfortable using Comfrey Leaf externally for its uses as in healing wounds and broken bones. It is high in Calcium and Vitamin C and simulates healing activity. In folk medicine it is sometimes referred to as “knitbone” for its ability to speed wound healing.
    But 33 years later my leg is still broken with no metal holding it together, wonder ifit would have any effect on me if I decided to take it again. :smile:

On second thoughts; I have hemochromatosis and the following killed any idea of that. :o o:
    Though it has been used for centuries, it has become controversial in the last century for the possibility of it causing liver problems when used internally.

How to use Comfrey Leaf Herb as a Natural Remedy

4. OP
    OP
    kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    thanks for your additions to my post, guys, and sorry about not being more informative. since i posted in the horticulture forum, i figured gardeners would know what i was asking for but... i forget the forum has casual readers, me included, so i'll be more informative in the future.

i imported some seed a couple of years ago and had it growing but something wasn't right and i lost it. it grew like a weed on the big island of hawaii and my microclimate is similar to where i saw it on hawaii so i dunno but i'll be ordering some more seed in the near future.

as far as the toxicity to humans, (toxic substances called pyrrolizidine alkaloids that damage the liver), i grew it and ate it raw daily 8 months of the year for around 30 years and never experienced any bad effects. i want it for the calcium and it also makes a great garden soil builder.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I honestly thought being in a tropical environment plant life would thrive here, but many things I grew in Oz just curl up and die here after sprouting, I am not sure if it is the sand or what it is, but having lived in arid (sandy) to tropical (clay) areas in Oz, growing in the Philippines is baffling to say the least, native species seem to do well, but something as simple as growing pumpkins here has had a disastrous outcome for me... :o o:

6. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Never seen comfrey here yet,in the uk it grew like a weed?
    And also would like to find anyone who has any sucsess with courgette/zuccini here!