Dumaguete Info Search

Complaint dumaguete airport

Discussion in '☋ Tourist Information ☋' started by davfitz, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I'll make today travel b*tch day. The following is the text of a communication addressed to the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines. I still can NOT believe that this actually happened:

"I am addressing this complaint to the CAAP directly as your Dumaguete operation seems not to be blessed with an E-Mail connection. Please forward this complaint to the Airport Manager, Veronica Chuang, for comment and remedy or do so yourself - whatever is more appropriate.

I frequently travel by air, mostly to Cebu on CP air's early morning departure. I did so with my wife last Monday morning. We always travel between our home and the airport by pedicab. This arrival was different. Our driver was turned back by the gate guard on duty as being inappropriately dressed. His crime, in the guard's sole opinion, was the wearing of alleged short pants.

My wife and I were forced to complete our journey, carrying and dragging our baggage, on foot. I was furious and had no hesitation in venting my anger to the individual who caused it.

What insane policy formulates standards of dress for pedicab drivers servicing this or indeed any airport? The driver was working - not attending mass!

Please read this next point carefully. I am informed that short pants are items of clothing whose lower hem occurs at or above the knee. I was so attired. The driver was wearing a longer garment, whose lower hem was at his mid calf. He was NOT wearing flip-flops or any other clothing item proscribed in your listing. Should I have been turned away as well? Will you next be proposing and enforcing dress standards for airline passengers?

Regardless of the dubious merits of any airport dress policy, its application should not be made arbitrarily by the whim of its lowest level of employees.

Obviously this incident was not earth shattering. It could have had more serious a repercussion on a different occasion. It is my belief that it reflects poorly on your Aviation Authority, the Dumaguete Airport and the reputation of Dumaguete generally as a hospitable place and "The City of Gentle People".

I informed the arrogant guard that he would hear about this incident again. I respectfully propose that he should by way of a remedy which you will expeditiously effect.

I shall be grateful for your comment and remedial action."

Does the forum's readership have any thoughts on the issue?

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Hehe... I mentioned that some when in the past here on DI.

In my case he had long pants but slippers, so he was not allowed to go in. I changed with him my slippers (with a strap at the back) and all was good... yeah that regulations are a bit over the top... maybe they copied the Why Not - Shoenazi-Outlines

cheers
    Rhoody

PS: your case it is a bit different .... as CP is delayed anyway, the driver can go home have a shower, shave, haircut, change cloths, bring the kids to school and enter with you the airport area still catching the flight... hehehe

3. OP
    OP
    davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    DUH!

Now I really do feel foolish! I missed the obvious solution. The tricycle driver and Annabelle could have stripped down and exchanged garments right there on the street!

Thanks, Rhoody. That is so helpful. If the authorities do not take action, we will!

DUH!

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    the driver would not even be allowed to drive with slippers in general... [​IMG]

welcome to Dumaguete... would like to know what that slipper violation - fee is

5. mrbee

mrbee DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Should have turned up naked,and said you were Adam and Eve...they are so religious..might have worked.

6. benbronswijk

benbronswijk DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dress code

Is this dress code only for drivers, or is it for passengers also? I always wear shorts and slippers when i am visiting the Philippines. Will they sent me back to Netherlands for changing clothes?

7. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Dutch must were wooden slippers,hehe (clogs):wink:

8. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    If I drop my pants the security guard runs away or drops down dead anyway 'cause of the smell... :D

9. gotz

gotz DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Why blame Airport authorities and the lowly security guard, when it was the drivers fault for not wearing the proper dress code. Just because its you who rode on the pedicab? your barking at the wrong tree mister.

10. OP
    OP
    davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Perhaps, gotz, you might choose to read my post again. I am barking at exactly the right tree. The CAAP operates all Philippine airports and is responsible for the policies under which they conduct business. Either the central authority or the Dumaguete airport manager is the appropriate party, non?

The driver did nothing wrong. The lowly gate guardian chose to exert himself and made a (poor) judgment call. He will be held to account for it, I hope.

If not, there is no particular loss - in this instance. I also hope that he is given an opportunity to redeem himself and is not summarily dismissed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.