Dumaguete Info Search

Computer basic tutor needed

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by patty, May 20, 2016.

1. patty

patty DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 18
    Where to get some hands on computer tutoring? Needing help with the HOW TO of downloading, transfer files, etc. and trying to program a new tablet. I need a tutor, following instructions by reading is not working. Thanks

2. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Just a consideration, proceed with caution.

3. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    You wouldn't be trying to transfer a 4GB or larger file to an sdcard would you?

If the file size is over 4 GB your SD card needs to be properly formatted. For larger files a microSD card needs to be formatted Ex-fat rather than Fat32.

4. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    You just need to tune into your inner 4 year old, as buried as that person may be. Push buttons. Swipe things. Don't worry about breaking stuff. Explore. Might just give you something to do for a while.

Incidentally, that's how I learn a new platform / programming language as a software developer. I have zero patience for books and tutorials. I just want to tear into it and make it bend to my will. Poke it and watch it squirm. At first it wins, but eventually it gives up its secrets.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    patty

patty DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 18
    Thanks for the confidence, discovered the one step I skipped and was successful at adding some books. Another person helped me and advised to also watch videos for' how to' help. Started my own journal with notes of directions and will keep exploring.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Never feel like you are just clueless and everyone else gets it. A key thing to know is that you aren't trying to figure out a computer. Rather, you are trying to figure out a graphics interface which someone thought would be the easiest way to use the application. Sometimes they do well, sometimes they screw it up horribly. Sometimes they have a business agenda which doesn't align with your needs in using the app.

If I really need to figure out an app which is complex or not user friendly then I'll just aimlessly explore it. In a big app, I may have to do this for quite some time before I get it. Patterns begin to emerge and memory takes hold. This is "internalizing" the app. And again, I do this largely by aimlessly clicking, tapping, swiping things.

Give a kid a cell phone and that kid will find things you never knew were on the phone. That's because they explore. They push through it finding every nook and cranny on the phone because it's a shiny toy.

For us, a smart phone is a tool to be used correctly and efficiently. We go in knowing what we want but we want to take the proper steps needed just to get that thing done.

Really we need to be more like kids. Maybe we don't have the time to explore and play. Maybe we do but the phone isn't where we want to direct that energy. But if I feel the phone or the application can be useful to me, then I'll take the time to explore.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136

Exactly Dude, this is the way I solved my cp problem I had last week Works fine now on firefox.
    Edited by a moderator to put post outside quoted post

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2016
  8. Kym

Kym DI Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 1
    Blood Type:
    O-
    youtube search - tutorials ie " how to upload instagram from tablet" or "transfer files from USB file from tablet to .." etc