Dumaguete Info Search

Suggestion computer problem

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by mokum, May 6, 2016.

1. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    A while ago my computer was repaired . According to the repairman the power supply was gone and destroyed some other things too.( It's running now on a external sound card and internet adapter) Although I gave him my genuine window 7 starters set up disk, he put in an illegal window 7 ultimate . There are two 250 Gb each hard disks in the comp, one (D) is empty, everything runs on the other one (C) My question is : Can I download my genuine window 7 on this empty (D) disk , try out or this works and if so than getting rid of the illegal one by formatting disk (C) ???

2. Best Answer:
    Post #3 by robert k, May 6, 2016 (5 points)
  3. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
  4. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Best Answer
    If the version of windows you are running now the same or lesser than you had before? For example home, home premium, pro,, ultimate? If the version installed is the same or a lesser version than you had originally, you can use your genuine Certificate Of Authenticity (usually a sticker on the tower but there may be one on the installation disc as well) to authenticate that you own a genuine copy of windows 7. When you go to register and the wrong numbers are in the field for authentication, delete them and input the numbers that came with your computer's sticker / disc. That way you don't lose whatever you have and windows will be able to update. If you don't care if you lose anything, you could reformat and install your original windows. You could also just unplug the HD with the pirate windows on it and install your genuine windows on the blank HD. You might have to swap the HDs because the second HD may not be enabled in the BIOS. Alternatively, you could just go into the BIOS and enable all SATA drive sockets on the motherboard. Once you have two different copies of windows on the computer, every time you start the computer it will probably ask you which one you want. There are many ways to get there, legitimizing the version of windows you are running (if you can) will save whatever data you have at this moment and I would try that first.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. OP
    OP
    mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    Thanks a lot, Dude & Robert, for the quick reply. Great help.!!

6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Is your mind made up on sticking with Windows? You can download and install Linux Mint for free.

Download - Linux Mint
    Howto Install Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinnamon Edition

Dual/multi-boot is a pretty simple process. I currently have Windows 10 and Linux Mint installed on this computer (1TB HD - 300GB for Windows, 700GB for Linux). I spend about 95% of my time on the Linux side, Windows is used mainly for gaming (very rarely) and video/image editing.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    My suggestion is that you avoid the dual boot stuff if you don't really plan to dual boot the system in the future. Make copy of your personal files, then just disconnect drive with illegal operating system and connect drive without operating system and install operating system on that drive. Run on one drive. If you like it, connect the other drive to system and format it and restore your files.
    If you don't like it, plug in the old drive, boot from it and format the drive you recently installed Win 7 on. My bet is if you are comparing Win 7 and Win 7 Ultimate, you won't notice any difference unless you are a power user. If you gave the repair guy your media, I assume you don't have your license key. On most laptops, the license key is stuck on the bottom of the unit. If you have a desktop, I don't think that is the case. Before doing anything make sure you have the original software license key.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. robert k

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    I have Dell, HP and Samsung towers right now and all have a windows COA sticker on them. My laptop doesn't because it was Linux originally and I installed windows after and the COA sticker is on the case with the disc.

9. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    I stand corrected. Haven't owned a factory built desktop in forever. :smile: Microsoft authorization sends the configuration of the computer it is installed in. If it's significantly different you may need to call them. When I moved from VMware fusion on my Mac to Parallels I had to call MS to get the license code to work for my Win7 VM.

10. robert k

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Strangely enough I don't own any computers in their factory configuration but I find it convenient to let the vendor gather most of the parts.

11. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Problem with buying a prebuilt system which is what usually comes with these *starter* editions if often the starter edition is limited use to that motherboard or cpu type or configuration. Changing out CPU and/or Motherboard can result in a windows starter edition no longer being able to install as they are generally factory OEMs that get locked to specific hardware.

This may have been the issue on why your tech installed a pirated copy. Further though the registration key often is also locked in many ways to OEM computers as well that it only works for that specific install disk batch so using it on another install from a different disk that isn't the same batch type won't work.

• Informative Informative x 1