Dumaguete Info Search

"COUNTING" is not part of the culture -

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Dave & Imp, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    I am being challenged by another cultural phenomenon here. I was recently reprimanded by a helper and x-GF for counting... which I term as budgeting so to insure everything and everyone was appropriately paid when the time came for payment. I was told that it was against the culture her to count anything in advance or keep tract of your expenditures or what others want to borrow from you.
    The focus of the discussion was cause by a family member coming by from San Jose to pick up 1000 P allowance but using a trike at the cost of 440 P to get it, netting them only 660 P (a bus round trip would have cost about 120 P for the three people) . . Of coarse they ran out of rice later in the week and had to "borrow ahead" again from their local sari-sari store which would have been my responsibility had I not decide to no longer participate in the games.
    Has anyone else been confronted by this counting issue?

• Like Like x 1
  2. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    Three persons to pick up P 1000. ??? They should have rented a limousine.
    Of coarse you should have brought them the money so they don't had to go thru this expences and waist of their precious time.
    A little more understanding for their culture on your part could save them a lot of troubles Dave.
    But still your decision to stop all support is the best solution.. Look for a g/f who's an only child from deceased parents brought up in an orphanage.
    BTW, do you have any seedlings for sale?? I'm looking for tomato's, bagio beans, zucchini.
    Jacob

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Yup....let them eat cake. A helper would be fired for reprimanding me on how I handle my financial matters (and I would then give her her final salary without counting it....just grab the first bill I found in my wallet and then reprimand her for "counting" her salary). I hire helpers to clean....not to be my personal accountant.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Did the gf get the x added in front of it before or after the counting issue?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. midway

midway DI Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +285 / 28
    one thousand minus four hundred and forty is five hundred and forty, I would have had to let a personal accountant go for that mistake.

6. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    I hope kids are not using this for a math quiz. 1000 - 440 is not 660 or 540. Correct answer is .....

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I believe it would be 560.....though some scientific studies would be needed to test the validity of this hypothesis.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Dave & Imp

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    d*mn... they got me for another hundred pesos... Damnn

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Dave & Imp

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    d*mn... they got me for another 100 Pesos.... no wonder they do not want me counting.

10. midway

midway DI Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +285 / 28
    You are correct. In any case I would have still had to let the accountant go.