Dumaguete Info Search

couple of business idea's

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by eddy, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddy

eddy DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I often read posts on this and other forums about starting a business here in the philippines, most replies are negative because of the high failure rate. I think a couple of idea's here might work. in Dumaguete there is no organised estate agents with property for sale or rent. So a estate agents would be worth looking at, also start up capitol is not huge. another Idea is a bee farm you probably will be able to sell the honey and beeswax without too much trouble. yes it takes a little knowledge, but it is not rocket science. hope these few idea's help.

2. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    That's good idea , I never heard of bee farm in the N oriental side.A supply of fresh good quality honey would be another add on and might tick as a business or just something to do if one is retired ,good to be busy at times and good for the mind too if don't have anything else to do.That doesn't need a big capital,and doesn't take a massive space .I encountered locals selling honey before but they seem already diluted with sugary stuff,the quality is poor. As never heard of bee farm , guess must be harvested from the wild.

3. OP
    OP
    eddy

eddy DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Hi pickled newt --Yes I have not seen many bee hives here in negros, puzzles me why there are not more, plenty of flower's too. I think european bees would do well here, more docile and they produce more honey.we used to have bee hives at my old school, so I have a little knowledge of the subject. very worthwhile hobby, and can be quiet profitable too. you need a acre or so of land with a water supply near. a garden shed to seperate the honey and keep your equipment in. a suit smoke gun, then the hives. not a great deal of capitol if you start in a small way first.

4. pickled_newt

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    To eddy

I’m sure bee farming can be fun ,educational for the children too, also as a hobby as you said.I just don’t know the why local govt hasn’t initiated this kind of livehood project among farmers or people general.With bit of local fund or as a loan and a day’s free training ,people might have tried this crop . I grew up and lived there ,but only found this on books .

We had been to Bulgaria many times and bee farming seem a popular local business. I have seen locals some are very poor having these bee hives in their back yards ,some with an area less than an acre or just about 2000 sq meters.

When we were looking for property out there , we met this very active old fella in his late 90’s (doing well for his age),who still does bee farming showed us his bee hives , garden shed where he kept his crude gadget extracting pure honey, quite interesting though .There’s always abundance of pure quality honey everywhere in Bulgaria ,so impressive. We often visit Bulgaria as we have our own place there too, rennovaton is underway .Whenever we visit we buy many bottles of pure honey to bring back here in England.They are diff than what one buys in the shops .We prefer pure/real honey, it’s a natural product and good for the health. Filipinos should have tried this and I ‘m sure it is beneficial either as add on consumption alone or for the local market.

Perhaps if you initiate your own bee farm there eddy ,Dumaguete might have it's own local supply of pure delicious honey and local farmers will feel aware what they are missing.

...in half a year's time there might be 10 bee farms around. :D

5. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Then you will be a busy bee keeper:D

6. pickled_newt

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Not until I retire jim, that's another thought keeping my marbles :wink: but that's long way yet still a dream ,and only if eddy's not doing the bee hives.

Don't like to be accused of stealing ideas.:D

7. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I have thought about being a real estate agent in Dumaguete , if only part time
    when I retire, in the UK. just to keep myself busy, and help Locals, tourist and expats
    to find there dream:smile:

8. pickled_newt

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    That's good idea bridging the service gap for Dgte or other parts of the PI. It's true there's the need of real estate agent in dgte and other areas .Imagine looking for property to rent or buy and there's no such agency around to deal with it ,only finding your accomdation by yourself asking local people or infos passed around by words of mouth or look out of sign postings hang on trees ,lols.

9. OP
    OP
    eddy

eddy DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I think before the industrial revolution, life here in the PI would have been much preferable to the west, fruit everywhere you look, sea full of fish, warm weather year round. what went wrong? lol. this country needs experts in various fields from the west to make the most of the abundant resources here. I am only renting here in dumaguete so no bee keeping for me, but good luck to anyone it gives it a go

10. West Coast Hokies

West Coast Hokies DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Very true. I saw the same thing when visiting family in Romania. My uncles' farm, had quite a few bee hives. They were nearby a plum orchard which which gave the honey a special flavor. It was goood!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.