Dumaguete Info Search

Covid Farce UK

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by john boy, Jul 18, 2021.

1. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 230
    It's been reported today that the Prime Minister Boris Johnson is now in isolation
    having come in into contact with the Health Secretary of just three weeks, who has a covid variant.
    This comes on the eve of an easing of rules, that will allow people to choose whether or not to wear face masks in public places.
    Returning holidaymakers being told they will now need to self isolate after this Government allowed them to travel!
    Also the Track and Trace has pinged 100's of people telling them to self isolate!
    You could not write a better sketch for a Monty Python series than this!!
    In short the UK is about to be thrown into chaos once again, I'll give 2/3 weeks before there will be talk of another lockdown.....
    Stay happy and smile at this crazy world we live in, things can only get better?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mike_Haddon

Mike_Haddon DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +305 / 31
    PM and Chancellor both self-isolating. UK Gov Ltd has got itself into a mess of a cul-de-sac, promising 'freedom day' from today whilst the Delta variant is now causing 50K+ new cases per day. They have dug themselves in a hole promising the freedoms and cannot back down. If cases now rocket up more they face a revolt if they implement more lockdowns. Either way, I think the current leadership is f***;*d (facing ultimate citizen kickback; election defeat). I do not think they will last the current term of government with the same leadership.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    He served a purpose and that purpose is now fulfilled - no need to keep a clown as PM.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 230
    What purpose was that?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    The same purpose populist politicians always serve, to lead a country astray and then walk away from the ensuing chaos. :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  6. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 332
    To call it leadership is a joke, more like trying to follow a headless chicken :chicken:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. EandN

EandN DI Member

Ratings:
    +135 / 17
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Agreed...... but what or rather whom are the alternatives? I don't see any senior politicians from any party at this time being capable or indeed trustworthy to lead government. Never seen such a collective shower of shite in parliament as this present bunch.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Maybe it's time stop electing senile old men (and women) to office and turn to the younger generations.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    Maybe political parties should be abolished.
    An Opposition leader was asked why he was fighting a bill that was good for his country. His answer; We are the opposition it's our job to object.

10. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Hmm, can't say I agree to that. I think Sir Keir is a decent and smart guy whom many would trust to lead the country; if (big if) he could manage to free Labour from the stifling influence of the unions and their minions in parliament then Labour would indeed look a lot more capable again.
    However, the UK does appear to have landed in a political dead end; the sum of covid policy fails, a conservative party in disarray because of a bunch of opportunist populists, Labour still tied to dogmatic unions, and Libdems seemingly powerless to drive a real wedge into the political scene, coupled with persistent Brexit woes, will make it near impossible for anyone well-meaning to steer the country back to some sense of normalcy.

I realize that my take on UK politics is coloured somewhat by my Dutch liberal glasses though, and that every system has its advantages and disadvantages, but that first past the post system really seems in need of improvements, since it disenfranchises so many voters. On top of that it promotes attempts at gaining advantages by the ruling party through redistricting which sometimes looks really silly on a map. Time for some proportional representation maybe? If that ever happens, don't make the mistake of allowing marginal parties to win a single seat in parliament, better have a 5% threshold like they have in Germany. Oh and while you're at it, please look at bringing democracy to the house of Lords, rather than the "old boys" system you have now.
    Ah well, daydreaming is allowed no?

• Like Like x 3