Dumaguete Info Search

CPU Temperature. ?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Jack Peterson, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    :wideyed: It is d*mn Hot here in Junob just now and I guess it will get hotter later, but I want to ask, is anyone else getting a higher Temp reading because of the Ambient temp being higher. I normally Idle about 38/40 c but today, well yesterday also it idled at 45/48 c as I use the PC it goes up and down like a Yo Yo up to 65 c sometimes and then falls off back when I stop doing things, is this Normal for this time of year or am I likely, going to have a few problems, I am on my desk Top. My limit for the ASUS I have is 75 c but I don't like to have it that High.

Any Suggestions my Friends.

JP :bag: :frown:

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    When in the Philippines I have to switch the computer fan to "always on". Warped a motherboard from the heat on an Acer laptop I had (which ran very hot even in normal climates). I'm still jealous of you guys having hot weather though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Basically, that was the problem and dust, one of the fans was clogged and the grease had dried up + the motherboard was dirty but all is clean now and running at normal Temps.
    So I guess a monthly strip down of the tower is in order.

JP :bag: :whistling:

4. Hyaku

Hyaku DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 3
    You can always put in another fan if its a tower. The only thing that's screwed me up is salt.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Get some canned air and blow it out once a week. If you do that you might only have to open it up twice a year.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    I have a 1 hp compressor, is this too strong? I can regulate the outlet pressure.

7. JayD

JayD DI New Member Blood Donor

Head of IT Operations at Foundation University
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Blood Type:
    B-
    JP, it's sad to say but that's quite normal. The CPU of your desktop is actively cooled, probably using a heat sink and fan that were boxed together with the CPU. Now, the head dissipation of the sink itself decreases with higher temperatures of the environment. Naturally, besides dust and oxidation, heat is the No. 1 enemy of integrated circuits such as computer parts and communications gear. Additionally, dust can also degrade the performance of a FAN as well as create noise caused by dust abrading its inner workings.

One option to deal with a higher temperature would be to look into using a larger heat sink e.g. with heat dissipating features such as a copper based core together with replacing the fan. Also, heat dissipation can be affected by lack of thermal paste which is inserted between the CPU and heat sink. Thermal paste that doesn't contain aluminum or silver particles usually tempts to dry out fairly quickly, especially under local conditions. Another option would be looking into water cooling which, in return, also only works for your desktop. When it comes to water cooling I'd suggest a system with an external radiator. However, given the costs involved and the fact that choosing the rights parts requires some extensive knowledge on the matter this might be overkill in your case.

My two cents
    [DOUBLEPOST=1427684746,1427684636][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Just noticed that there were other replies basically outlining what I just said, gosh :facepalm:

Yes, I usually clean my systems every month - it definitely helps increases the lifespan :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  8. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Never worry about saying things twice it all helps and keeps things at the fore.

JP :bag: :whistling:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    And just in case anyone is wondering: this involves getting a bottle of water and pouring it over your keyboard. It cools your computer down very quickly! :sneaky:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    One of my tenants just did that, oops a new usb keyboard! So much better to use a tablet :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1