Dumaguete Info Search

Critters

Discussion in 'Horticulture' started by ShawnM, Sep 14, 2014.

1. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    One thing I have really wondered about is when some of the critters move in. The Nipa has been basically a structure for months, but did not see the geckos.

Since we've move into the house I have got geckos and praying mantis in the house, not many at the nipa. I actually searched on how they move and got no info.

How do they actually get here? We don't have many folks building close and the ones we have are baby geckos.

Other than cleaning their sh*t I actually like having them in the house, maybe I'm weird about that...

Shawn

2. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    Now if you have a way of attracting dragonflies, you have a Trilogy of natural pest control. :cool:

Attracting Dragonflies to Your Yard - National Wildlife Federation

3. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Dragonflies are another thing, you will see tons of them and then nothing. Have to be happy that even though we have water every where around us mosquitoes are very few. I got bit more at the apartment than at the house and only when we are hanging out at the nipa.

Now that I have the plants in the garden and am spending time there I've got those little red ants I hate so much...can't find out where they are living but d*mn do I hate those little bastards.

Shawn

4. tomtorific

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    In the South here, we have fooking fire ants. Now those SOBs can be a nightmare unless treated.

5. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Well, didn't know the little black ant could be aggressive until I stopped by a friends place, nothing as bad as the little red ones but they were all over...another thing I need to learn to keep things chemical free in my garden.

Shawn

6. baltoed

baltoed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +18 / 6
    enmasse dragonflies your witness to a hatch.. mantis..I think their cool except the female killing the male after sex thinghy..all ants I control with borax..not boraxo.works on roaches and silverfish too

gecko will hunt down any small critters to eat and lay thier eggs in the worst spots.. Ive had 2 toko move in for months at a time til my dog got em..they were big.. like almost 2 foot with that long arse tail

Dont ask me how they get in.. Ive had 3 inch toads jumping across my living room floor ..havent seen any rats but the locals here say the snake numbers is high here..billion of toads on this property,,when it rains and floods a bit its a froggy fruckin fest and its loud too

7. tomtorific

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    I'm starting to think aking Asawa must have some mantis in her....everytime I mention sex....she bites my head off. O-xI