Dumaguete Info Search

Crushed Red Pepper (for Kimchi)

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by pkrbrad, Mar 19, 2011.

1. pkrbrad

pkrbrad DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +12 / 1
    Does anyone know where I can buy Crushed Red Pepper? We like Kimchi, and since there is a lot of Napa Cabbage here, we decided to just make it. The only ingredient we are missing is the Red Pepper.
    Thanks

2. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Last time I was there I'm pretty sure I saw red pepper powder in the Robinson's Supermarket in the Asian section. They had Ramyen and prepared Kimchi also. The Kimchi was too sour for my taste (I prefer it fresh).

Shawn

3. permres

permres DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Seems like Shawn might be referring to paprika red pepper powder, not the crushed red pepper you are looking for. I had to have some friends bring some for me when they came from Taiwan. I was unable to find crushed red pepper flakes here, myself. Do let me know if you find any, although, since a little goes a long way, I am well-supplied for awhile.

4. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    In the Dumaguete public market where the Calamansi stand is, they also sell crushed red pepper. This is made from the local "Sili" pepper. It is very hot and very good, and almost completely indiscernible from the crushed red pepper (Cayenne) sold in the states. At P10 per bag it is a bargain.

Larry

5. OP
    OP
    pkrbrad

pkrbrad DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +12 / 1
    Thanks a lot for the information..

Brad

6. permres

permres DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    red pepper at Robinsons

I stand corrected....was at Robinsons Supermarket today and took a look at the jars of red pepper powder down the Asian aisle. It does say "red chili peppers" as the ingredient, it is more of a coarse powder rather than crushed red peppers, but I think it would suffice in your dishes.

7. bounty98

bounty98 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    if your in Cebu City head over to Gorordo Ave and there is a Korean store next to where the Kuku's nest used to be. Its on the corner just up from the Wine shop restaurant. They sell the dry ingredients for kimchi in a big plastic bag, basically seems to be crushed red pepper. Its like a quart bag for around p200

8. DivingDane

DivingDane DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    You can also get the real deal in Dumaguete. Try the Korean supermarked slash restaurant Fish 153 (strangest name ever!) - you'll find it very close to Kamalig restaurant.

Good luck,
    DD

9. OP
    OP
    pkrbrad

pkrbrad DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +12 / 1
    Thanks, a lot for all the replies. We ended up getting the red pepper at Robinsons. It wasn't the original Korean crushed red pepper, but the kimchi tastes good anyway. I will get it from a Korean store when I get the chance..

Brad

10. bounty98

bounty98 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    my wife loves kimchi, that is why we were scouting the pepper in Cebu. She has been messing around with it. I guess its not a complicated thing to make but I have a feeling there is techniques involved to get like how mother use to make it for a Korean