Dumaguete Info Search

Danish tourist found dead

Discussion in '☋ Apo - Siquijor - Bohol ☋' started by pickled_newt, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Daily Inquirer

Snorkeling Danish tourist found dead off Siquijor coast

By Alex Pal
    Visayas Bureau

Last updated 05:15pm (Mla time) 02/26/2007

DUMAGUETE CITY, Philippines -- A Danish tourist who went snorkeling off the coast of Siquijor Island was found dead Monday.

The victim was identified as Soren Mikkelsen, 57. His body was found by villagers of San Juan town in Siquijor lying face down at about 8 a.m. Monday.

Dr. Ruel Quisel, municipal health officer of San Juan, said Mikkelsen was already dead when the villagers found him. "The staff of the Coco Groove Resort, where Mikkelsen was staying, tried to resuscitate him but his body was already stiff," he said.

He said there were no signs of foul play, as the body had no wounds or scratches.

"He must have suffered a heart attack or he could have succumbed to a pulmonary problem," Quisel said.

2. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Mysterious death or not ?

It is sad to read this story , but moreover as the local M.D's in the Philippines are not well enough trained to discover , or atleast search for the ünknown
    " factor ". Beside that ,everybody just jumps in the water without sufficient protection or even the slightest basic knowlegde .
    I myself have once been asked for an adivise as the Pathologist. could not find the reason for the mortality but yet it was easy to explane.
    The shell CONUS TEXTILLUS which is very abundant in the Philippine waters is perhaps here also the "killer " 'Beautifull small snail but lives nocturnal . At the daytime lots of snorcklers take them in their ( no gloves!!) hands and put their finger to the opening to see if there is something still "living " inside.. An "arrow "shot by a Conus shell or some other of this family is absolutly deathly . It is the small creatures which we should fear of not the sharks or rays !! The Palithoa Ignota , a sessil Polyp is the most toxic creature on earth and not a Cobra , Poison Arrowfrog ( I used to breed them) Stonefish, (Synecea verrucosa) ( most confused and used as a "stepstone " ) Black Mamba or any of the other known animals. The feared Lionfish family are also known for their Cobra like (28 x stronger!) poison and yet... Only the 3th and 4th Pinnea dorsalis ( Dorsal spines) are containing this poison which is Non termoresistant and will loose effect at high temperatures . In common words , once " pricked " submerse the bodypart in water as hot as possible for several hours. Painfull but not deathly at all !! Something to be very carefull with is the highly venimous Blue Ring Octopus Hapalochlaena maculata . small beautifill 1 or 2 inch octopus bright blue neonlike "rings " not aggresive but IF it bites End of story

3. ginni6

ginni6 DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    hi earlmj
    befor you start rumors inform you about the truth
    he has befor a pulmonary problem

4. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Correct me if I am wrong , but the original message speaks of " he must have suffered ", or " could have ""
    I spread no rumors but simply write my knowlegde of toxidity of sea animals for which I am international respected.THis as a general preventive perhaps.Many people die ignorent of this facts .

5. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Poisonious Fish and Sea Critters

Thanks for posting this info Earl. Very interesting.

6. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    More about Sea dwelling creatures then one would aspect..

Just for those of you that might believe after reading my message that there is only evil under the surface.........
    Lately international institutes and as first USA Pharmaceutical GSK are studiyng to use of sea critters for Medicinal purpose and mainly those that are poisinous. Did you guys and dolls know that all SPONGES as protection against to greedy preditors have each their own protection by essentional body fluids that are toxid too ?
    GSK is the inventor of the worlds first ANTI VIRAL drug named ZOVIRAX and yep it "comes " from draining a Carribean deepwater sponge. The active ingredient is ACYCLOVIR . One of the latest discovery is that brest cancer can be slowed down and some cases even put to a full stop ! Thus by meens of an other kind of Sponge. And yep... the Philippines have more kind of sponges and other invertebrates then any other sea unless that would be Indonesia , which can be compared.
    Once again sorry for my errors in typing. Cataract is demanding a high toll after many years...

7. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    More about Sea Critters 2

Well finaly I am able ( Dummy !) to upload some pictures for you of the Family of Coelenterata ( Sea Anemones and jellyfish) Those are having major attention by the pharma R & D labs right now. Reason There might be a cure " ïnside "'for cancer and some cardio vasculair desease...Also the family of the Echinodermata ( sea cucumbers , Urchins and Starfish belong to that) have the attention. Puctures are of several Sea Anemones and a tri -color Sea Apple which is infact a Sea cucumber kind.named Paracumcumaria tricolor. The Sea Anemones are types of Discosoma (red carpet), Radianthus sp. ( Purple variety)and Physobrachia ramsayi ( red bubble Anemone.)
    Tank pictures form my kids tank...

Attached Files:

8. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Just a short note about the unknown factor of the death of the Danish tourist. Once again this is from my own experiences working in the field. The "sting " of a Conus ( Conus textile ) sea snail appears later in obduction as a heart attack...

9. cheskaraul

cheskaraul DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Earl, hahahaha i'm getting scared to go back in the water now. But wow, i had no idea. Thanks for the info :smile:

10. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    none of the above
    looks like decompression sickness was to blame
    taken from cdnn
    SAN JUAN, Philippines (28 Feb 2007) -- Did decompression sickness kill a Danish tourist who died snorkeling in the Philippines?

It's a question that will provoke a loud chorus of 'nays' from every certified diver, armchair scuba diving expert, hyperbaric medicine professional and overpaid DAN executive.

After all, decompression sickness, which we often refer to as the 'bends', can only result from breathing compressed air at depth and snorkelers do not breath compressed air?

Right? Right.

But what if the snorkeler was already suffering from decompression sickness and refused adequate medical treatment necessary for a full recovery several days earlier?

Soren Mikkelsen, 57, died Monday morning while snorkeling off Siquijor Island in the Philippines on Monday.

Several days earlier Mikkelsen was hospitalized after he got the bends scuba diving in Panglao.

Mikkelsen was admitted to the Ramiro Community Hospital on February 18.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.